Essay topics: An entertainment-driven culture runs the risk of encouraging passivity among its citizens. If they can experience something vicariously through a movie, television show, or video game, why should they get involved with the activity itself? It’s safer, after all, to watch someone scale a mountain than to do it yourself. The effect of this passivity, of course, is an apathetic frame of mind. We cease to care deeply about so many things because they are experienced, at best, second-hand.
Assignment: Is apathy a problem in today’s society? Write an essay in which you answer this question and discuss your point of view on this issue. Support your position logically with examples from literature, the arts, history, politics, science and technology, current events, or your experience or observation.
Entertainment holds the reigns of our daily life, in this postmodern, slightly dystopic 21st Century resembling Huxley's "Brave New World" as the masses dedicate their lives to working odd jobs for survival and coming home to be sedated by means of entertainment, more diverse and thrilling than thought possible by our predecessors. It is inevitable that people will argue if this way of living has corrupted the human being's unparalleled ability to create, or if it is just another way to enjoy life. However, it's clearly true that this new sense of entertainment based on second-hand experience has created an entire world population of "couch potatoes".
Let us take a look through history an ...
Subscribe now as testbig VIP readers and get unlimited access to essays on the top list.
- Unless we actually reach our goals, they are meaningless. Goals clarify our ambitions—an award, a title, aprize—and help us focus on only what is necessary. By dedicating ourselves to the achievement of our goals,we choose how we spend our most valuable r (66.66670000000001)
- An entertainment-driven culture runs the risk of encouraging passivity among its citizens. If they can experience something vicariously through a movie, television show, or video game, why should they get involved with the activity itself? It’s safer, aft (63.3333)
- Many among us like to blame violence and immorality in the media for a "decline in morals" in society. Yet these people seem to have lost touch with logic. Any objective examination shows that our society is far less violent or exploitative than virtually (70)
- "The best leaders are not those who seek power or have great political skill. Great leaders- and these are exceptionally rare, especially today- represent the best selves of the people they represent."Assignment: What are the most important qualities of a (70)
- "It is often interesting, in retrospect, to consider the trifling causes that lead to great events. A chance encounter, a thoughtless remark - and the torturous chain reaction of coincidence is set in motion, leading with devious inevitability to some res (98.5714)
- "If you think about disaster, you will get it. Brood about death and you hasten your demise. Think positively and masterfully, with confidence and faith, and life becomes more secure, more fraught with action, richer in achievement and experience... Coura (97.7778)