"It is often interesting, in retrospect, to consider the trifling causes that lead to great events. A chance encounter, a thoughtless remark - and the torturous chain reaction of coincidence is set in motion, leading with devious inevitability to some res

"It is often interesting, in retrospect, to consider the trifling causes that lead to great events. A chance encounter, a thoughtless remark - and the torturous chain reaction of coincidence is set in motion, leading with devious inevitability to some resounding climax.

Patricia Moyes, /Down Among the Dead Men/

Assignment: Do small events lead to catastrophes or are great events initiated by other causes? Plan and write an essay in which you develop your point of view on this issue. Support your position with reasoning and examples taken frome your reading, studies, experience, or observations.

Trying to distance themselves from the consequences of their actions, a rather large collection of people have held on to the idea of the “butterfly effect”: a theory which suggests that the flapping of a single butterfly’s wings is capable of causing a devastating tornado halfway across the globe. Others have instead realized the immense amount of reasons to every happening; I am also one that supports the latter opinion. Please allow me to explain.

One of the main problems that render the coincidental chain reaction theory obsolete is the obvious fact that there are endless factors...

It is on top list:
http://www.testbig.com/essay-categories/sat