TESOL and ETS Name 2015 TESOL Award Recipient for Distinguished Research

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 02/27/2015 - 19:36

Alexandria, VA (PRWEB) February 26, 2015

TESOL International Association and Educational Testing Service, the creator of the TOEFL® Program, are pleased to name Yasuko Kanno as the recipient of the 2015 TESOL Award for Distinguished Research. The award honors a researcher who has completed an empirical research project and a subsequent scholarly paper that was published in a peer-reviewed scholarly journal. Kanno will be recognized at the opening session of the 2015 TESOL International Convention & English Language Expo in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Kanno is being honored for her paper ‘I’m Not Going to Be, Like, for the AP’: English Language Learners’ Limited Access to Advanced College-Preparatory Courses in High School, published in the American Educational Research Journal. The article, co-authored by Sara E. N. Kangas, examines the “educational practices that result in ELLs’ restricted curricular choice.”

“The award is an incredible honor,” said Kanno. “I am delighted to see that in a research climate where the focus is increasingly on ‘more’ and ‘faster’ — and conducting efficient research and publishing as many articles as possible — TESOL recognized the value of a piece of qualitative research that is conducted carefully with a commitment to long fieldwork and capturing the complexity surrounding English-language learners’ education.”

Kanno is an associate professor of TESOL at the College of Education, Temple University, where she also coordinates the TESOL program. She is interested in linguistic minority students’ access to and success in postsecondary education and has a co-edited a volume with Linda Harklau called Linguistic Minority Students Go to College: Preparation, Access, and Persistence, published by Routledge. Her work has also appeared in American Educational Research Journal, TESOL Quarterly, Modern Language Journal, Applied Linguistics, and the Journal of Language, Identity, and Education, where she also serves as editor for the “Research Notes and Forum” section.

The winner of the TESOL Award for Distinguished Research receives US$1,000; a free one-year membership in TESOL International Association; a one-year subscription to TESOL Quarterly; and registration, travel and accommodations for the TESOL International Convention & English Language Expo. The award recipient also delivers a presentation on the winning research at the TESOL convention.

About TESOL International Association

Founded in 1966, TESOL International Association is a professional community of educators, researchers, administrators, and students committed to advancing excellence in English language teaching for speakers of other languages worldwide. With more than 13,000 members representing over 150 countries, TESOL fosters the exchange of ideas, research, and peer-to-peer knowledge, and provides expertise, resources, and a powerful voice on issues affecting the profession. Through professional development programs, its international conference, special interest groups, and publications, TESOL engages tens of thousands of professionals to collaborate globally and create a world of opportunity for millions of people of all ages who want to learn English. For more information, please visit http://www.tesol.org.

About ETS

At ETS, we advance quality and equity in education for people worldwide by creating assessments based on rigorous research. ETS serves individuals, educational institutions and government agencies by providing customized solutions for teacher certification, English language learning, and elementary, secondary and postsecondary education, and by conducting education research, analysis and policy studies. Founded as a nonprofit in 1947, ETS develops, administers and scores more than 50 million tests annually — including the TOEFL® and TOEIC® tests, the GRE® tests and The Praxis Series® assessments — in more than 180 countries, at over 9,000 locations worldwide. http://www.ets.org

About the TOEFL Test

The TOEFL test is the most widely respected English-language assessment worldwide, recognized by more than 9,000 institutions in more than 130 countries including Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom and the United States. To date, more than 30 million students have taken the TOEFL test. More information regarding the TOEFL test, including registration, study tips and sample questions, is available on the TOEFL® Go Anywhere website at http://www.toeflgoanywhere.org.

Article references
www.prweb.com