Dams Hydropower dams are massive concrete walls placed inside rivers or streams to hold back water. Holes in the dam allow controlled amounts of water to pass through and as it moves through these holes, it passes through a machine, which converts that mo

Dams

Hydropower dams are massive concrete walls placed inside rivers or streams to hold back water. Holes in the dam allow controlled amounts of water to pass through and as it moves through these holes, it passes through a machine, which converts that movement into electricity. Dams are incredible engineering marvels that represent one of the most beneficial and effective forms of electricity creation today.

First, dams positively impact the environment. Once constructed, these massive walls hold back tremendous amounts of water, forming artificial lakes. These lakes produce not only a wonderful habitat for fish but also a beautiful recreation area for local citizens, which serves to help the local population stay aware and respectful of nature. Additionally, through irrigation, these lakes bring to life millions of acres of ground that would otherwise lie barren.

Second, the power generated from a dam produces no harmful pollutants. This is in direct contrast to the dominant source of electricity production today—coal power plants, which are the leading cause of smog, acid rain, and air pollution. One large dam generates roughly the same amount of electricity as a typical coal plant. Consequently, dams, by replacing these plants, eliminate, among several other toxic pollutants, an average of 3.7 million tons of the global warming gas carbon dioxide per year.

Third, dams create no financial burden for the community. Because dams generate electricity and provide irrigation water for local agricultural concerns, they provide two means of bringing in revenue for owners. Combined, this revenue more than covers the significant expenses incurred during operation of the dam, resulting in significant profits. For example, the Grand Coulee Dam in Washington produces approximately 15 billion in revenue per year and requires only 5.7 billion in operating costs.

Essay topics in audio

The article states that dams are unbelievable constructions that provide us plenty of benefits and provides three reasons of support. However, the professor explains that we need more researches to tell that it is truth and refutes each of the author’s reasons.

First, the reading avers that dams have positive influences on environment. The lecture opposes this point by discussing that the environment suffers difficulties through dams construction and after it. According to the professor, for constructing a new dam we need to ocuppy a water path, so it provides problems for movi...

Sentence: According to the professor, for constructing a new dam we need to ocuppy a water path, so it provides problems for moving fishes.
Error: ocuppy Suggestion: occupy

Sentence: Third, the reading claims that community will not be suffered any ficancial problems.
Error: ficancial Suggestion: financial

Sentence: We also learn that most dams are not economicaly feasible for government.
Error: economicaly Suggestion: economical