You are hereDo you agree or disagree with the following statements.People should always tell the truth./ Always telling the truth is the important consideration in any relationship. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

Do you agree or disagree with the following statements.People should always tell the truth./ Always telling the truth is the important consideration in any relationship. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

Ana's picture

By Ana - Posted on 14 November 2012

Do you agree or disagree with the following statements.People should always tell the truth./ Always telling the truth is the important consideration in any relationship.
Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

Truth, trust, and honesty are some of the important considerations in any relationship. These considerations make our relations more strong. But, we cannot always tell the truth for many reasons, such as we do not want to hurt someone; for our profit; and for other’s happiness.

First, always telling the truth can hurt someone and we do not want to hurt anyone, and therefore we have to lie. For example, my friend bought a dress for $100, which was not worth it for $100. She asked me, whether it is worth it or not, in such situation, I would prefer to lie, even if I know that it’s not worth it, because I do not want to hurt her. So, sometimes, we have to lie to maintain our relations.

Second, we cannot always tell the truth to make a profit especially in business. For example, businessmen need to maintain their relation with their customers, which help them to make profit. Even though, businessmen know that their products or services are not for long life, but still they advertise or present it like that to convenience their customers. Hence, businessmen, marketing and sales people have lie to make profit. So, sometimes people have lie to make profit.

In addition, sometimes we have to lie for other’s happiness. For example, a patient, who is suffering from severe disease; he also has a heart problem, and he cannot face the truth, in such situations doctors prefer to lie, which is good for patients health. So, sometimes hiding the truth can bring happiness in other's life.

Finally, not all the time relations can be maintain by telling the truth. Above explained are some of the reasons, where we cannot always tell the truth for some good reasons. Sometimes we have to lie or hide the truth for our or other’s profit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I mentioned two statements in essay topic. Please confirm about the above essay whether it is okay or not for both topics, as I thought both statements are almost same.

Please confirm.

Thanks,
Ana.

tuposwmv france

User comment: I just want to chat in English for a while to improve my speaking skills

Ekhlas US / Iraq

User comment: I want to talk to someone in English to prepare for an exam

Do you agree or disagree? All children should be included in a team sport. sonia123
In twenty years there will be fewer cars in use than there are today. gshankar20
People attend college or university for many reasons (for example, new experience, career preparation, increased knowledge). Why do you think people attend college or university? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. fardin
People do many things to stay healthy. What do you do for good health? akshaya deep singhal
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? The extended family (grandparents, cousins, aunts, and uncles) is less important now than it was in the past. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. yjc1989
It is important to keep your old friends than to make new friends xaama sticky icon
Some people like to travel alone with a companion.Other people prefer to travel alone .which do u prefer ? give specific reasons and examples. sindhurondla
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? People benefit more from traveling in their own country than from traveling to foreign countries. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. ali.darudi
Some people believe that university students should be required to attend classes. Others believe that going to classes should be optional for students. Which point of view do you agree with? Use specific reasons and details to explain your answer. hajarisfahan
A university education should be provided free of charge to all interested scholars.Do you agree or disagree with the statement? Use examples and reasons to support your position. carolineloos

TOPIC # 56 A company is going to give some money either to support the arts or to protect the environment. Which do you think the company should choose? Ekhlass1980
TOEFL integrated writing: fuel-cell engines nargess1981
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Actions speak louder than words.Use specific reasons and examples to support your response. paradise_shi
TOEFL essay: It has recently been announced that a new high school may be built in your neighborhood. Do you support or oppose this plan? Why? Use specific reasons and details in your answer. sheppard
Compare yourself today and yourself five years ago. In what ways are you the same or different? Use specific examples to support your response. Davosh
It has recently been announced that a new movie theater may be built in your neighborhood. Do you support or oppose this plan? Why? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer. Neda 80
Sample TOEFL essay: do you agree or disagree with the following statement? people should sometimes do things that they do not enjoy doing. use specific reasons and examples to support your answer sheppard
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?Money can't buy happiness.Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. pkesf52513
Advertisements influence people's behavior in a negative way. Do you agree or disagree with the statement. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion. nargess1981
130) Some young children spend a great amount of their time practicing sports. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of this. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. magicsk

You are on the right track. It is better organized. Still you need more works:

After you put the topic sentences, don't put examples immediately. You need to argue why the reason, then put examples. and you don't need to put the two words 'for example' there, people will understand it as an example. I will give a detail here:

Suppose the essay is 'Do you like to eat at home or eat at restaurant?'. and the essay is going to support eating at home. how to write the essay body?

first, eating at home can save money.(this is the topic sentence which is reason one, then you need to argue why i can save money by eating at home). (because) I bought everything by myself from supermarket and made the food by myself, I don't need to pay workers. Plus i have to pay transportation fee by going to the restaurant, and i need to pay tips to waiters if i eat at restaurant. (then for example)Eating a sandwich at home may cost me $5, while i may need to pay $10 in a restaurant. I can save $5.(after finished the example, you should not stop, you need to write the advantages of saving the money). I can buy a favorite book to read by $5, i can rent a good movie to watch by $5,blabla....

Second, reason 2. Do the same thing like above reason one.

Third, reason 3...same thing...

The correct pattern is:

reason + why this reason + example + conclusion

Comparing to your essay body, you put a reason, then following it put an example. Nothing wrong with this way, but too simple and not well developed.

Let us know if you didn't get the point how to write the essay body.