You are hereDo you agree or disagree with the following statements.People should always tell the truth./ Always telling the truth is the important consideration in any relationship. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

Do you agree or disagree with the following statements.People should always tell the truth./ Always telling the truth is the important consideration in any relationship. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

Ana's picture

By Ana - Posted on 14 November 2012

Do you agree or disagree with the following statements.People should always tell the truth./ Always telling the truth is the important consideration in any relationship.
Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

Truth, trust, and honesty are some of the important considerations in any relationship. These considerations make our relations more strong. But, we cannot always tell the truth for many reasons, such as we do not want to hurt someone; for our profit; and for other’s happiness.

First, always telling the truth can hurt someone and we do not want to hurt anyone, and therefore we have to lie. For example, my friend bought a dress for $100, which was not worth it for $100. She asked me, whether it is worth it or not, in such situation, I would prefer to lie, even if I know that it’s not worth it, because I do not want to hurt her. So, sometimes, we have to lie to maintain our relations.

Second, we cannot always tell the truth to make a profit especially in business. For example, businessmen need to maintain their relation with their customers, which help them to make profit. Even though, businessmen know that their products or services are not for long life, but still they advertise or present it like that to convenience their customers. Hence, businessmen, marketing and sales people have lie to make profit. So, sometimes people have lie to make profit.

In addition, sometimes we have to lie for other’s happiness. For example, a patient, who is suffering from severe disease; he also has a heart problem, and he cannot face the truth, in such situations doctors prefer to lie, which is good for patients health. So, sometimes hiding the truth can bring happiness in other's life.

Finally, not all the time relations can be maintain by telling the truth. Above explained are some of the reasons, where we cannot always tell the truth for some good reasons. Sometimes we have to lie or hide the truth for our or other’s profit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I mentioned two statements in essay topic. Please confirm about the above essay whether it is okay or not for both topics, as I thought both statements are almost same.

Please confirm.

Thanks,
Ana.

Is it better to enjoy your money when you earn it or is it better to save your money for some time in the future? Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion. okoronkwoac sticky icon Independent TOEFL Writing
You have enough money to purchase either a house or a business. Which would you choose to buy? Give specific reasons to explain your choice. deepali1234 Independent TOEFL Writing
It is better for children to grow up in the countryside than in a big city. Do you agree or disagree? Use specific reasons and examples to develop your essay. ioanap sticky icon Independent TOEFL Writing
In some organizations, promotions are based on seniority, while in other organization, promotions are based on performance. Discuss the advantages of each position. Then indicate which position you think is best and why? omidway TOEFL
What are some important qualities of a good supervisor (boss)? Use specific details and examples to explain why these qualities are important. zeezoo TOEFL
College days are the best days in person’s life: Agree or disagree Lauren TOEFL
Sample TOEFL essay: do you agree or disagree with the following statement? people should sometimes do things that they do not enjoy doing. use specific reasons and examples to support your answer sheppard TOEFL
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? It is more important for students to study history and literature than it is for them to study science and mathematics. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion. covinfox Independent TOEFL Writing
It is better for children to grow up in the countryside than in a big city. Do you agree or disagree? Use specific reasons and examples to develop your essay. zeezoo TOEFL
Learning about the past has no value for those of us living in the present. Do you agree or disagree? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. annisak TOEFL

three obstacles which archaeologists confronted in Britain. mitranasrabadi sticky icon Integrated TOEFL Writing
Three ways for controlling cane toads in order not to over populate in Australia mitranasrabadi sticky icon Integrated TOEFL Writing
Own a business. ioanap Integrated TOEFL Writing
You have enough money to purchase either a house or a business. Whichwould you choose to buy? Give specific reasons to explain your choice. okoronkwoac sticky icon Independent TOEFL Writing
Topic 14:Some people believe that university students should be required to attend classes. Others believe that going to classes should be optional for students. Which point of view do you agree with? mandana193 Independent TOEFL Writing
Many people visit museums when they travel to new places. Why do you think people visit museums? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. ioanap sticky icon Independent TOEFL Writing
Many people visit museums when they travel to new places. Why do you think people visit museums? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. okoronkwoac Independent TOEFL Writing

It is better for children to grow up in the countryside than in a big city. Do you agree or disagree? Use specific reasons and examples to develop your essay. deepali1234 Independent TOEFL Writing
Some people spend their entire lives in one place. Others move a number of times throuhout their lives, looking for a better job, house,community or even climate. Which do you prefer:staying in one place or moving in search of another place? nomantic Independent TOEFL Writing

You are on the right track. It is better organized. Still you need more works:

After you put the topic sentences, don't put examples immediately. You need to argue why the reason, then put examples. and you don't need to put the two words 'for example' there, people will understand it as an example. I will give a detail here:

Suppose the essay is 'Do you like to eat at home or eat at restaurant?'. and the essay is going to support eating at home. how to write the essay body?

first, eating at home can save money.(this is the topic sentence which is reason one, then you need to argue why i can save money by eating at home). (because) I bought everything by myself from supermarket and made the food by myself, I don't need to pay workers. Plus i have to pay transportation fee by going to the restaurant, and i need to pay tips to waiters if i eat at restaurant. (then for example)Eating a sandwich at home may cost me $5, while i may need to pay $10 in a restaurant. I can save $5.(after finished the example, you should not stop, you need to write the advantages of saving the money). I can buy a favorite book to read by $5, i can rent a good movie to watch by $5,blabla....

Second, reason 2. Do the same thing like above reason one.

Third, reason 3...same thing...

The correct pattern is:

reason + why this reason + example + conclusion

Comparing to your essay body, you put a reason, then following it put an example. Nothing wrong with this way, but too simple and not well developed.

Let us know if you didn't get the point how to write the essay body.