Gas and oil extraction in Antarctica(From The complete guide to the TOEFL test, page 589)

Gas and oil extraction in Antarctica
(From The complete guide to the TOEFL test, page 589)

Both lecture and passage talk about gas and oil extraction in Antarctica and if it should be allowed. In the one hand, the author of the passage thinks that it is possible and a very good alternative to solve the problem of the increase of fossil fuels demand. In the other hand the professor of the ecology class states that the exploitation of the Antarctic resources is very dangerous for the environment.

The author of the passage argues that although the climate is extreme, the current technological development make it possible like in Alaska and North Sea, and it would provide a very good quality resources. On the other hand, the professor on the lecture thinks that this installations would be more expensive and difficult than the ones in Alaska and North Sea.

Other important point on the argue is the fact that Antarctica is practically unpopulated except for the coastal areas. On the passage, the author explains that it is an advantage because there is an enormous area to extract fossil fuels without danger for people. However, the ecology class’ professor thinks that the species that live at coastal zones are very fragile and would be in danger.

In conclusion, the problem is if they are more important the human beings and their development or the environment and the animals that live in Antarctica.

Sentence: The author of the passage argues that although the climate is extreme, the current technological development make it possible like in Alaska and North Sea, and it would provide a very good quality resources.
Description: The fragment development make it is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace make with verb, past tense

Sentence: On the other hand, the professor on the lecture thinks that this installations would be more expensive and difficult than the ones in Alaska and North Sea.
Description: A determiner/pronoun, singular is not usually followed by a noun, plural, common
Suggestion: Refer to this and installations

Sentence: In conclusion, the problem is if they are more important the human beings and their development or the environment and the animals that live in Antarctica.
Description: The tag an adjective is not usually followed by the
Suggestion: Refer to important and the