Integrated writing (Source: ETS guide 4th edition practice test 2)

The reading states that the professors appearing on TV is of great benefit to himself, the university and the public. It provides three reasons of support. They are gaining reputation for the professor, for the college and to educate the general public. However, the lecture refutes to author's opinion.

First, the reading claims that the professors who appear on TV gains reputation as authorities in their academic fields. However, the lecture refutes the point by saying that the professors who appear on TV frequently are not generally viewed as a serious scholar. As a result they will receive less invitation to attend academic conferences or less likely to receive research grant. This seriously lessen the professors opportunity to further grow as a researcher.

Second, the reading posits that the university will benefit a lot with such appearance in TV. However, the lecture opposes the point by saying that it will have negative effect on students and the university. In addition it takes a lot of time to prepare including preparation for the material, travelling and even dressing up to look good in front of camera. This precious time can also be used to teach class, help students, or even do further research.

Third, the reading states that public will be benefited if professor appears on TV. In contrast, the lecture states that it does not help in educating the general public. The lecture explains that, the TV network is not interested in having the professor explaining the intellectual substances of their researches. Rather, they are interested in having them explain some basic background information or history. This type of information can be easily presented by a serious reporter who has done his work properly.

Because of the above three reasons, it is highly questionable whether professors appearing on TV has any advantage. In fact it bring negative consequences to himself and also the universities they teach.

No. of Words: 316 250 (write the essay in 20 minutes)

The correct pattern:

para 1: introduction
para 2: doubt 1
para 3: doubt 2
para 4: doubt 3

Don't need to reiterate the contents of reading passages or as less as possible.

Don't need a conclusion.

Read sample essays from ETS:
http://www.testbig.com/users/toeflwritingmaster