It is better to have broad knowledge of many academic subjects to specialize in one specific subject

The statement under scrutiny throws light upon two different perspectives of looking at academic subjects. One invovles specialising in a particular domain whereas the other invovles having broad knowledge in various fields. To determine which one is better, I personally feel one has to look at the academic profession in question.

Lets take scientific research, for example. A researcher working in a laboratory devotes all his time focusing on a specific research area. Usually, his knowledge is limited to this domain. It is focused research like this that has led to significant inventions which have changed human life as we know it. For instance the Haber-Bosch process of fixing atmospheric nitrogen to synthesize ammonia, the invention of lithium ion batteries, the theory of relativity, the laws of motion etc. are few of the innumerable products of focused scientific research. Scientists invovled in research of this sort may not require having knowledge of subjects apart from their own. Rather, these achievements were a direct result of concentrated efforts in one particular subject.

Now lets look at a profession like teaching. A middle school teacher for example, who helps children build a fundamental academic base does not necessarily require having in-depth knowledge in just one particular subject. It would rather be more beneficial for a teacher to have a grasp of a variety of subjects which could help him guide children better. A basic idea of these subjects should allow him to correlate the concepts used in one particular subject with another and paint a broader picture for the students. For instance, while talking about the World War in a history class, having some idea about geography might be helpful for the teacher in correlating the events that took place during the war. He may not necessarily need to describe an in-depth analysis of each and every event that took place during war simply because it beyond the scope of a middle school history class.

To summarize, just one singular statement is not enough to determine the importance of having broad knowledge of many subjects or specilizing in one particular subject. Every profession has its own requirement and therefore, both these perspectives have their own importance.