Nuclear Energy The 20th century saw the use of fossil fuels such as coal, gas, and oil as the predominant sources of energy for our society. But, with their use have come a number of serious problems, such as their limited availability and the question of

Nuclear Energy

The 20th century saw the use of fossil fuels such as coal, gas, and oil as the predominant sources of energy for our society. But, with their use have come a number of serious problems, such as their limited availability and the question of global warming. Nuclear energy must be seen as the solution, as the next logical step in the evolution of energy production.

First, the fuel that powers nuclear power plants is cheap compared to the fossil fuels we currently use to supply most of our energy needs. Because it exists in such abundant supplies, a unit of fuel used in nuclear power plants costs about 7 dollars. This unit produces the same amount of energy as 84 dollars of oil or 29 dollars of gas. The potential savings to consumers is enormous.

Second, despite what some may believe, the process of creating nuclear energy is relatively safe. Though production involves large amounts of dangerous radiation, nuclear power plants incorporate an array of measures to ensure that this radiation is contained and poses no danger to the public. Elaborate equipment is used throughout nuclear plants to monitor and control all processes. Furthermore, this machinery will shut down under any abnormal circumstances to prevent a catastrophe.

Third, the hazardous radioactive waste generated by nuclear power plants can be effectively managed. Fuel reprocessing is one measure often employed. This process takes the waste produced in plants and reuses it. It draws out 25% more energy from the original fuel source and reduces the amount of high-level waste, the most radioactive and therefore dangerous, by 80%. Consequently, the remaining waste possesses much less radioactivity and is even easier to dispose of.

Essay topics in audio

The article states that nuclear energy is a good replacement for fossil fuels and provides three reasons of support. However, the professor says that it is correct that it has some benefits but the argument is not well thought and refutes each of the author’s reasons.

First, the reading posits that the fuel that power nuclear plants is cheap. The lecture opposes this point by discussing that building the nuclear power plant is not cheap and it needs a lot of money to build it. Furthermore, in many countries there is legistimation that builders have to consider emergency conditions for nuclear accidents which causes extra cost for builders.

Second, the article avers that the process of making nuclear energy is safe. The professor explains that it is always possible that accident happen. According to the professor even though they control all process, we should consider devasting effects. He provides an example of a nuclear accident that happened in Pennsilvania. Even though it was small amount and had not significant effects on people, it was very expensive to fix it. Also, its psychology effect on people was severe.

Third, the reading claims that the dangerous radioactive waste made by nuclear power plant can be managed. The lecture refutes this point by saying that it is not easy to manage radioactive waste because nuclear plants makes a lot of waste. High-level waste can be used in nuclear weapon and it is real hazardous. According to the professor, the remaining waste still is high and we have to store it deep in ground in safe place and it is possible that some people or groups find the site and use he waste for illegal actions.

Sentence: The professor explains that it is always possible that accident happen.
Description: The fragment accident happen . is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace happen with verb, past tense

Sentence: Furthermore, in many countries there is legistimation that builders have to consider emergency conditions for nuclear accidents which causes extra cost for builders.
Error: legistimation Suggestion: legislation

Sentence: According to the professor even though they control all process, we should consider devasting effects.
Error: devasting Suggestion: No alternate word