People work because they need money to live. What are some other reasons that people work? Discuss one or more of these reasons. Use specific examples and details to support your answer.

Although most of the people work because they need money to survive, there are a few who work for other reasons such as: passion for work, social acceptance and ability to make a change in lives of others.

Passion for work have simulated great scientists and philosophers. For example, there was a great mathematician by the name Ramanujam who worked on Mathematics simply for the passion he had had in that subject. Though he was never financially supported because of the knowledge he had in that subject, he used to spend long hours on his passionate subject. There are others who also demonstrate passion for work. Another good example would be Mother Teresa, who was a great social worker. She worked endlessly to uplift the poor people and provide social care irrespective of any afflicting disease.

People also work because of the need to be accepted socially. Unless we go to a job, our relatives, friends and neighbors do not treat us with respect. They see the person who is jobless to be a burden to them and to the society. They also perceive the individual as a wastrel who does not take any responsibility upon themselves. To avoid such social retribution, people tend to take work seriously.

Lastly, there are people who work because they want to make a change in the lives of others and help the mankind. Lot of different public service jobs would fall under the ambit of such a case. People who serve as doctors and police officers help the community by providing able support in terms of health care and protection. Their primary purpose is to serve the population without any bias towards a particular caste or creed. There are other public service professions such as army and navy who not only serve the citizens of the country but are also willing to risk their lives for safeguarding the interests of the nation.

Given by the examples, we can assertively conclude that though people do work to earn money, they also work to serve other purposes of their lives.