PRACTICE TOEFL iBT SPEAKING SECTION(Official guide)

Practice Test

Question 1
You will now be asked a question about a familiar topic. After you hear the question, you will have 15 seconds to prepare your response and 45 seconds to speak.
Now play track #24 on the CD to hear Question 1.
Choose a place you go to often that is important to you and explain why it is important.
Please include specific details in your explanation.
Preparation time: 15 seconds
Response time: 45 seconds

Question 2
You will now be asked to give your opinion about a familiar topic. After you hear the question, you will have 15 seconds to prepare your response and 45 seconds to speak.
Now play track #25 on the CD to hear Question 2.
Some college students choose to take courses in a variety of subject areas in order to get a
broad education. Others choose to focus on a single subject area in order to have a deeper
understanding of that area. Which approach to course selection do you think is better for
students and why?
Preparation time: 15 seconds
Response time: 45 seconds

Question 3
You will now read a short passage and then listen to a talk on the same topic. You will then be asked a question about them. After you hear the question, you will have 30 seconds to prepare your response and 60 seconds to speak.
Now play track #26 on the CD to hear Question 3.
Reading time: 45 seconds
Bus Service Elimination Planned
The university has decided to discontinue its free bus service for students. The reason given for this decision is that few students ride the buses and the buses are expensive to operate.
Currently, the buses run from the center of campus past university buildings and through
some of the neighborhoods surrounding the campus. The money saved by eliminating the
bus service will be used to expand the overcrowded student parking lots.
The man expresses his opinion of the university's plan to eliminate the bus service. State his opinion and explain the reasons he gives for holding that opinion.
Preparation time: 30 seconds
Response time: 60 seconds

Question 4
You will now read a short passage and then listen to a talk on the same academic topic.
You will then be asked a question about them. After you hear the question, you will have 30 seconds to prepare your response and 60 seconds to speak.
Now play track #27 on the CD to hear Question 4.
Reading Time: 45 seconds
Social Interaction
People deal with each other every day. This interaction is at the heart of social life. The
study of social interaction is concerned with the influence people have over one another's
behavior. People take each other into account in their daily behavior and in fact, the very
presence of others can affect behavior. For example, one principle of social interaction,
audience effects, suggests that individuals\' work is affected by their knowledge that they
are visible to others, that the presence of others tends to alter the way people behave or
perform an activity.

Explain how the examples of tying shoes and learning to type demonstrate the principle of
audience effects.
Preparation time: 30 seconds
Response time: 60 seconds

Question 5
You will now listen to a conversation. You will then be asked a question about it. After you hear the question, you will have 20 seconds to prepare your response and 60 seconds to speak.
Now play track #28 on the CD to hear Question 5.
The speakers discuss two possible solutions to the woman\'s problem. Describe the problem and the two solutions. Then explain what you think the woman should do and why.
Preparation time: 20 seconds
Response time: 60 seconds

Question 6
You will now listen to part of a lecture. You will then be asked a question about it. After you hear the question, you will have 20 seconds to prepare your response and 60 seconds to speak.
Now play track #29 on the CD to hear Question 6.
Using points and examples from the talk, explain the two definitions of money presented by the professor.
Preparation time: 20 seconds
Response Time: 60 seconds
This is the end of the Speaking section of the TOEFL iBT test.