Rembrandt is the most famous of the seventeenth century Dutch painters However there are doubts whether some paintings attributed to Rembrandt were actually painted by him One such painting is known as attributed to Rembrandt because of its style and inde

Rembrandt is the most famous of the seventeenth-century Dutch painters. However, there are doubts whether some paintings attributed to Rembrandt were actually painted by him. One such painting is known as attributed to Rembrandt because of its style, and indeed the representation of the woman’s face is very much like that of portraits known to be by Rembrandt. But there are problems with the painting that suggest it could not be a work by Rembrandt.

First, there is something inconsistent about the way the woman in the portrait is dressed. She is wearing a white linen cap of a kind that only servants would wear-yet the coat she is wearing has a luxurious fur collar that no servant could afford. Rembrandt, who was known for his attention to the details of his subjects’ clothing, would not have been guilty of such an inconsistency.

Second, Rembrandt was a master of painting light and shadow, but in this painting these elements do not fit together. The face appears to be illuminated by light reflected onto it from below. But below the face is the dark fur collar, which would absorb light rather than reflect it. So the face should appear partially in shadow-which is not how it appears. Rembrandt would never have made such an error.

Finally, examination of the back of the painting reveals that it was painted on a panel made of several pieces of wood glued together. Although Rembrandt often painted on wood panels, no painting known to be by Rembrandt uses a panel glued together in this way from several pieces of wood.

Questions:

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?

Essay topics in audio

The reading is about the one painting of Rembrandt that there is some dubious information this panting belongs to her and it tries to corroborate this painting is not Rembrandt’s work. However, the professor in the lecture confirms that everything in reading is true, but with additional information shows that this painting is Rembrandt’s possess.

First of all, the professor in the lecture states that by analyzing the pigments of painting, researchers realized that the luxurious fur mentioned in the reading as a reason of rejecting this work belongs to Rembrandt has added to the painting after one hundred years of the original painting to increase the value of it. The professor claims that the woman in the original painting just wears a simple white dress.

Secondly, according to the professor in the lecture in the original painting the light and shadow are very realistic like the other works of Rembrandt. On the contrary, the reading explains that the shadow beneath the face is dark which is paradox with the style of Rembrandt in her other paintings.

Finally, the professor clarifies that wood panel of the original painting is one single wood. She adds that researcher have discovered that this wood is of a tree, which the same painting of the Rembrandt, self-portrait with a hat, has been built of. She mentioned that this extra glued wood has been added to the panel to enlarge it to make it valuable and grand.

The reading is about the one painting of Rembrandt that there is some dubious information this panting belongs to her and it tries to corroborate this painting is not Rembrandt’s work.

researchers realized that the luxurious fur mentioned in the reading as a reason of rejecting this work belongs to Rembrandt has added to the painting after one hundred years of the original painting to increase the value of it.

Don't forget punctuation marks.