In the age of change, our human society is progressing rapidly on many fronts. Yet at the same time, many setbacks have arisen. One of them is disrespect for the old folks. This issue has drawn widespread attention. In this essay, I will analyze some possible causes of the phenomenon and propose some solutions.

It is obvious that the causes of inadequate respect for the old are numerous. Firstly, children are being spoilt in most of the families. They don’t know how to get along well with seniors. Nowadays, children have fewer opportunities to live with senior family members such as grandparents. Furthermore, as their parents are busy working, children who lack the love and attention don’t know how to be polite to the elderly people. Secondly, governments haven’t done enough in term of promoting the education for looking after the older folks. Specifically, it’s rare to see public transportation that emphasizes priorities for older people in terms of special seats, entrance for the elders, etc.

Accordingly, the solutions to this issue shall come from various aspects.. To begin with, parents should teach their children more about love for the elderly by both actions and words. As parents are the most natural role models to their children, how parents behave toward their older folks would impact their children a lot. Besides, parents should provide more opportunities for their children to get along with their grandparents in order to build deeper relations. Most importantly, governments should also highlight the importance of paying respect to the elderly people in our society. Indeed the public should advocate awareness campaigns such as “care for old folks” projects to influence the public to show higher level of respect to the elder persons.

To conclude, there are many factors that contribute to the disrespect for the older people. I am convinced that we should take effective steps including parenting and public education to reverse the trend of this disturbing social phenomenon.