The lecturer and author, both discuss about the reasons of declining population of sea otters in the Western Cost of North America, from California to Alaska. The lecturer talks about the predation theory. She thinks that it is the main cause of declining population of sea otters. However, the author of the reading disagrees with the lecture. He thinks that, environmental pollution is the main reason of declining sea otters. Lecturer has also explained the reasons how predation theory seemed more likely to be the reason of declining sea otters.
First, According to the lecturer, predators are the cause of reducing population of sea otters. She mentions that, if otters are killed by the infections, then they can’t suddenly wash up. They could have found any dead sea otters or it could have created some odor off shore too. But, according to author, pollution is the only cause, as high level of chemicals is observed in the water sample of that area.
Second cause of reducing other sea mammals like whales is human hunter and not the pollution, lecturer says. She explains that, if whales are no more available, then orcas have to change their diet from larger mammals to smaller ones. However, author thinks that environmental pollution is the only reason of reducing population of other sea mammals too.
Third reason of declining population of sea otters is the accessibility of predators to the locations. Lecturer explained, Orca, because of their size cannot reach to the shallow and rocky areas where populations of sea otters haven’t declined. On the other hand, author mentioned uneven pattern of pollution hypothesis.
To sum up, lecturer doubts the reasons which author provided for declining of population of sea otters. As stated above, she thinks predation theory is the main reason of reducing population of sea otters.
- Is the ability to read and write more important today than in the past? Why and why not? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. 69
- When people move to another country some of them decide to follow the customs of the new country Others prefer to keep their own customs Compare these two choices Which one do you prefer Support your answer with specific details 78
- When people need to complain about a product or poor service, some prefer to complain in writing and others prefer to complain in person. Which way do you prefer? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. 75
- Many people visit museums when they travel to new places. Why do you think people visit museums? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. 80
- Is it better to enjoy your money when you earn it or it is better to save for some time in the future? 85
The correct pattern:
para 1: introduction
para 2: doubt 1
para 3: doubt 2
para 4: doubt 3
Read sample essays from ETS:
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 26 in 30
Category: Very Good Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 0 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 18 10
No. of Words: 304 250
No. of Characters: 1501 1200
No. of Different Words: 141 150
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.176 4.7
Average Word Length: 4.938 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.534 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 119 80
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 74 60
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 56 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 39 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 16.889 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 4.748 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.611 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.409 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.592 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.162 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 5 4
I have a question about the pattern you mentioned above. I have gone through some of sample essays, all of them are of four paragraph essays. Isn't it require a conclusion paragraph? OR Do we need to conclude in forth or last paragraph only, as in samples essays?