Toward the end of his life the Chevalier de Seingalt 1725 1798 wrote a long memoir recounting his life and adventures The Chevalier was a somewhat controversial figure but since he met many famous people including kings and writers his memoir has become a

Toward the end of his life, the Chevalier de Seingalt (1725-1798) wrote a long memoir recounting his life and adventures. The Chevalier was a somewhat controversial figure, but since he met many famous people, including kings and writers, his memoir has become a valuable historical source about European society in the eighteenth century. However, some critics have raised doubts about the accuracy of the memoir. They claim that the Chevalier distorted or invented many events in the memoir to make his life seem more exciting and glamorous than it really was.

For example, in his memoir the Chevalier claims that while living in Switzerland, he was very wealthy, and it is known that he spent a great deal of money there on parties and gambling. However, evidence has recently surfaced that the Chevalier borrowed considerable sums of money from a Swiss merchant. Critics thus argue that if the Chevalier had really been very rich, he would not have needed to borrow money.

Critics are also skeptical about the accuracy of the conversations that the Chevalier records in the memoir between himself and the famous writer Voltaire. No one doubts that the Chevalier and Voltaire met and conversed. However, critics complain that the memoir cannot possibly capture these conversations accurately, because it was written many years after the conversations occurred. Critics point out that it is impossible to remember exact phrases from extended conversations held many years earlier.

Critics have also questioned the memoir's account of the Chevalier's escape from a notorious prison in Venice, Italy. He claims to have escaped the Venetian prison by using a piece of metal to make a hole in the ceiling and climbing through the roof. Critics claim that while such a daring escape makes for enjoyable reading, it is more likely that the Chevaliers jailers were bribed to free him. They point out that the Chevalier had a number of politically well-connected friends in Venice who could have offered a bribe.

Essay topics in audio

The reading is about the memoir of Chevalier which critics reject the accuracy of it and they believe Chevalier use unreal information to make his memoir rather than reality to make it more attractive. However, the professor in the lecture mentioned that although not memoir exist with accurate details, the Chevalier’s is pretty accurate and many reliable historic records support it.

First of all, the professor posits that borrowing the loan from merchant in Switzerland does not show that Chevalier was poor. He borrow this money because he needed money until to spend in parties and gambling at that moment and it took time to convert his property to get money. Therefore, after getting his cash, he brought back the merchant’s money. Furthermore, the professor refutes the reason of the passage that claims if he was wealthy, he did not borrow money.

Secondly, according to the professor Chevalier wrote about the conversations with renowned writer Voltaire at those particular nights of conversation not more later. Therefore, the professor is opposite of the reason of reading explaining that conversation written in the memoir is not accurate due to it has written so longer after occurring of conversation.

Finally, the professor clarifies that all of Chevalier’s friends had well-connected political friends but none of them escaped from jail. What’s more, there are a plenty government’s document which demonstrate that the part of the jail which Chevalier used to scape was repaired. She adds if the Chevalier did not scape by his own, why could this repairing have been happened? Although, according to the author this escaping is result of having political friends and Chevalier made this escape in his memoir, just to make it more enjoyable.

The reading is about the memoir of Chevalier which critics reject the accuracy of it..
Description: 'it' refer to what? and 'Which' is not used properly. Check online how to use 'which','that'.

Sentence: He borrow this money because he needed money until to spend in parties and gambling at that moment and it took time to convert his property to get money.
Description: The fragment He borrow this is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace borrow with verb, past tense

Sentence: What's more, there are a plenty government's document which demonstrate that the part of the jail which Chevalier used to scape was repaired.
Description: The fragment which demonstrate that is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace demonstrate with verb, present tense, 3rd person singular

Error: scape Suggestion: No alternate word

Sentence: She adds if the Chevalier did not scape by his own, why could this repairing have been happened?