The dining hall at the southern end of the campus will be redesigned for the fall semester, with the cafeteria to be replaced by a new food court. This remodeled dining area will include restaurants, cafes, and a convenience store where students can buy s

Speaking topics in text

The dining hall at the southern end of the campus will be redesigned for the fall semester, with the cafeteria to be replaced by a new food court. This remodeled dining area will include restaurants, cafes, and a convenience store where students can buy school supplies. The restaurants will be varied, specializing in international food, vegetarian dishes, and handmade sandwiches, all made to order at the request of the individual diners. The food court will be open by the end of the first week of the spring semester, giving students more food choices on campus in the coming calendar year.

Script:
Narrator: Now listen to two students discussing the announcement.

Female student: Did ya hear about the new food court on South Campus?

Male student: Yeah. [DISAPPOINTED] Man, it’s too bad they’re getting get rid of the cafeteria.

Female student: [SURPRISED] What—Why? Won’t it be good to have a few more options?

Male student: I dunno… I don’t feel like this really gives us more choices. The cafeteria already had dishes from other countries. They had vegetarian options and customizable sandwiches, too. It’s not like the quality of this new food court’s ingredients is going to be much better than what we’ve had—I bet it’ll all be from the same source, even.

Female student: You think? I mean, yeah, if they don’t even change their supplier, the offerings probably won’t be all that different.

Male student: Exactly, just pricier.

Female student: Wait, why’s that?

Male student: Oh, uh… The cafeteria was “all you can eat.” You’d get as much food as you wanted for a flat price. But at a food court, you’ve gotta order individual meals. That ends up costing more.

Female student: [CHUCKLES] You’ve always liked to load up a big plate, huh.

Male student: You’ve got that right. If I have to buy four meals every day, it’s gonna be hard on my wallet.

Narrator: The man expresses his opinion about the change described in the article. Briefly summarize the change. Then state his opinion about the change and explain the reasons he gives for holding that opinion.

Online speaking recording
Speaking category