TPO11-Q3

Speaking topics in audio
Speaking topics in text

TPO11-Q3

Housing Renovations Planned

Over the last ten years, the number of Central College students living on campus in dormitories has decreased by twenty percent. In an effort to counteract the trend, the college has announced a plan to renovate its on-campus housing. The renovations will take two years, and they will include improvements to the bathrooms, lighting, and heating in the dormitories. "A lot of people are moving off campus because the dorms aren‘t in great shape," explained the college president. "By renovating the dorms, we can make them more appealing than off-campus housing, and more students will choose to remain on campus."

Question:

The woman expresses her opinion about the college’s plan. State her opinion and explain the reasons she gives for holding that opinion.

Speaking recording
Speaking category

My speaking text

The announcement states that the university is going to renovate dormitory buildings in campus to attract more students to stay at the dorms. However, the woman believes that this plan is a mistake and brings up two reasons. First, she states that the constructions will take about two years and will make a lot of noise during this two years that people will be bothered and they will not be able to work or sleep in campus. Therefore, they will move off and even more people will leave the campus. Secondly, although the living conditions will be improved after finishing the construction, the university will increase the cost of campus housing to compensate the construction costs. So the students cannot afford it and will prefer to rent an apartment out of the campus which costs lower than in-campus housing.