DAAD In-Country-In-Region Scholarships for Postgraduate Studies, 2013-2014

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 04/18/2013 - 22:00

DAAD In-Country-In-Region Scholarships for Postgraduate Studies, 2013-2014Eligibility:-Staff member of a public university (or candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment) or from the public sector aiming at a Master’s or a PhD / Doctorate in a discipline having strong relevance to national development (including the applied Social Sciences, environmental and other special areas of Law, but excluding the Humanities and Fine Arts)

-Applicants must have completed their last degree less than six years ago at the time of application

-Applications by female candidates are particularly welcome

- Bachelor’s and / or Master’s degree qualification with at least an upper second class (please calculate from the transcripts if the degree is not graded).

Description: This scholarship programme targets African students who want to pursue Master’s or PhD courses in their home country (so called In-Country Scholarships) or via a network in another African country (In-Region Scholarship). The purpose of this scholarship programme is mainly to support the development of young staff members and particularly qualified students in fields of study that are development related.

Subject: Various Courses

Level: The scholarship is available for pursuing a Master’s or a PhD / Doctorate courses in applicant’s home country (so called In-Country Scholarships) or via a network in another African country (In-Region Scholarship).

How to Apply: Do not staple the papers. Only complete applications from applicants who meet all requirements will be accepted. Your application will only be complete if the following documents are submitted together with the proper and accurate filled in and signed application form:

1. Signed information leaflet “In-Country-Scholarships 2013/2014 for Postgraduate Studies” (original only)

2. Curriculum vitae without photograph; please use the europass CV template at http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu (original only)

3. Recommendation letter by your head of department indicating that you are a present or prospective member of staff (original copy only); in case of public sector candidates: academic reference from senior lecturer and proof of employment (original copies only)

4. Copies of all university degree certificates (certified copies only)

5. Copies of all university transcripts (certified copies only)

6. At least temporary admission letter including fee structure of respective course (original or certified copy only)

7. A letter of motivation (see attachment)

8. For Ph.D. applications:

-Declaration of acceptance from academic supervisor (original copy only)

-Detailed and precise description of research proposal, including extensive description of

-innovative research questions and specific research methods and detailed working plan (10 to 15 pages)

-Abstract of the proposal on one page (please include name and title of proposal)

-please send a soft copy of your proposal at the International Offices of universities in your country.

Provider: The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)

For Which Country: Ethiopia, Kenya, Namibia, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Zimbabwe (applicants can study in their home country or via network in another African country)

For Whom: The students of Ethiopia, Kenya, Namibia, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Zimbabwe can apply for the scholarship.

Number of awards: The number of awards varies for each country.

Duration of award(s): The scholarship will initially be awarded for one year only; annual (or shorter) renewal is possible upon individual request and receipt of a complete application using the provided form, addressed to DAAD, as soon as results of end-of-year exams are known, but not later than one month before the scholarship expires. Maximum period for Master’s degree is two years, for PhD three years.

What does it cover? DAAD will pay tuition fees to the university according to the official fee structure as stated in the (temporary) admission letter submitted by the applicant. Later increments of tuition fees cannot be considered. DAAD pays a monthly stipend to the scholarship holder. DAAD also pays the Master- and Ph.D. – scholarship holders an annual study and research allowance payable in local currency equivalent to EUR 230,– for the Master- scholarship holders and EUR 920,– for the Ph.D.-scholarship holders. This allowance is intended to cover any costs related to their research and dissertation or thesis production. Additionally, the DAAD pays the scholarship holder a lump sum of EUR 1.025,– payable in local currency. This final allowance (for example for thesis costs, printing, etc.) is granted in the last year of the scholarship (e.g. Master in the second year, Ph.D. in the third year) and disbursed to the scholarship holder within the last six months of support. An increase of these allowances is not possible. It is not necessary to apply for theses allowances.

DAAD In-Country / In-Region Scholarships’ Networks and Associations:

-African Network of Scientific and Technological Institutions (ANSTI)

-Natural Product Research Network for Eastern and Central Africa (NAPRECA)

-International Centre for Insect Physiology and Ecology (ICIPE)

-International Engineering Institute for Water and Environment

-Centre for Human Rights at the Faculty of Law at the University of Pretoria (CHR)

-Centre d’Etude Regional pour l’Amélioration de l’Adaptation à la Sécheresse (CERAAS)

-Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies at the Faculty of Social Sciences a the University of Ibadan, Nigeria (CEPACS)

-Collaborative Masters Programme in Agricultural and Applied Economics in Eastern, Central and Southern Africa (CMAAE)

-Centre of Specialisation in Public Administration and Management (CESPAM)

-African Center for Migration and Society at the University of Witwatersrand (ACMS)

-African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS)

-International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI)

-Nouveau Programme de Troisième Cycle Interuniversitaire (NPTCI)

-Integrated Watershed Management (IWM)

-Institut de Mathématiques et de Sciences Physiques (IMSP)

-Centre Africain d’Etudes Supérieures en Gestion (CESAG)

-African Paediatric Fellowship Programme at the University of Cape Town (APFP)

-Regional University Forum for Capacity Building in Agriculture (RUFORUM).

This scholarship support goes to selected African universities in Ethiopia, Kenya, Namibia, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Zimbabwe and networks and associations mentioned above.

Deadline: The deadline for the submission of application form varies for each country. Approximately between May-June 2013 (Contact Employer before applying)

Note : Further information about the application procedure, deadlines etc. can be obtained from the Board of Postgraduate Studies/ Graduate School at the universities mentioned above or from the secretariats of the networks/ associations mentioned.

Article references
scholarshipslisting.com