Dr. Merritt C. Olson Scholarship for Undergraduate Studies, Alaska, 2013

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 04/12/2013 - 01:00

Dr. Merritt C. Olson Scholarship for Undergraduate Studies, Alaska, 2013Scholarship Program: Dr. Merritt C. Olson Scholarship

Type of Award: Scholarships

Nationality: Scholarship is open for U.S. citizens.

Employer: The Alaska Community Foundation is sponsoring scholarship.

Level of study: Scholarship is for Undergraduate Studies.

Subject: Subjects offered by the university.

Duration: Award duration is one academic year.

Number of awards: Not known.

Am I eligible? 1. Applicant must be a graduating West High School senior.

2.Applicant should demonstrate academic motivation and success; minimum 3.0 GPA required.

3. Applicant must be enrolled full-time in an institute of higher education for the upcoming academic year.

4. Applicant must have demonstrated financial need.

5. Applicant should demonstrate leadership qualities, evidenced through extracurricular and community involvement and letters of recommendation.

6. Preference will be given to applicants who intend to pursue a career in education, specifically as either a math, history or English teacher or as a guidance counselor.

How do I apply? The mode of applying is By Post.

What does it cover? The Dr. Merritt C. Olson scholarship will provide an award of up to $2,500 per year for up to 4 years (maximum of $10,000) to a West High student with demonstrated financial need.

Description: The Dr. Merritt C. Olson Scholarship supports outstanding seniors from West Anchorage High School. The scholarship was established by Dr. Merritt Olson, a former West High teacher and education leader in Alaska. Born in South Dakota, Dr. Olson was an academic achiever; he was the valedictorian of his high school class and graduated summa cum laude from Northern State College. He went on to receive a doctorate in psychology from Rutgers University and spent a year as a Fullbright Scholar in Nigeria.

Closing Date: The deadline for submitted applications is April 28th, 2013 at 9:00 pm.