France : PhD Student Position in Wireless Nano Sensor Networks and Product Monitoring

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 03/29/2013 - 08:35

France : PhD Student Position in Wireless Nano Sensor Networks and Product MonitoringThe PhD thesis subject is about the fields of intelligent product concept and smart materials. An intelligent product can be defined as a dual physical and virtual product with computational and communication abilities, perception and control capabilities. The product is capable of participating or making relevant decisions throughout its life‐cycle.

In this context, the monitoring by the product of its status or its immediate environment plays here a significant role in the development of intelligent products. This concept, named Product Health Monitoring, should be compared with current Structural Health Monitoring (SHM) or Prognostics Health Monitoring (PHM) systems.

Advances in wireless nano sensor networks allow envisaging their integration into many products and systems.

The first objective of this thesis is to study deployment of such networks within the product in order to confer it intelligence functions. The second step will be to develop a Product Health Monitoring System (based on self‐abilities) allowing the product to perform itself continuous health monitoring (status, properties …), during its physical transformations.

This thesis is a continuation of works undertaken over the past few years on “communicating materials” [1] [2] and research areas supported by the international community (IFAC TC4.1 and 5.1) and the French Working Group IMS2 (GDR MACS).

Candidates Profile: The candidates are expected to have a Master in Computer Science with experience in one (or more) of the following areas: wireless sensor networks, embedded systems and intelligent manufacturing systems.

Recruitment Conditions: The project is granted by the French Ministry of Higher Education and Research from October the 1st 2013 to end of September the 30th 2016 (Three‐year doctoral contract). The selection of candidates will be done before the end ofMay 2013. The applications should be sent by email to Pr. Patrick CHARPENTIER (patrick.charpentier@univlorraine.

fr) and Dr. Nicolas KROMMENACKER (nicolas.krommenacker@univ‐lorraine.fr). The applications should include:

- detailed CV,

- Master assessment results,

- list of publications,

- brief statement about research interests and motivation to join the project,

- Recommendation letters from referees familiar with the candidate’s academic background, achievements

and works.

References:

[1] Kubler S., Derigent W., Thomas A., Rondeau E., Embedding data on “communicating materials” from contextsensitive information analysis, Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing (2013).

[2] Krommenacker N., Charpentier P., Pena R., Towards Product Health Monitoring throughout its life‐cycle, 11th IFAC Workshop on Intelligent Manufacturing Systems (IMS’13).

Application Deadline : 30 April 2013

Article references
scholarshipslisting.com