STRIVE Selects Kaplan University as Exclusive Post-Secondary Education Provider

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 01/20/2015 - 19:34

SOUTH PORTLAND, Maine--(BUSINESS WIRE)--

The Kaplan University Maine campuses and STRIVE have partnered to continue STRIVE U, a comprehensive program aimed at providing post-secondary education and training to young adults with developmental disabilities and teaching necessary skills to the students.

“Collaborating with STRIVE is a fantastic opportunity to support the needs of our community,” said Dr. Christopher Quinn, President of the Kaplan University Maine Campuses. “We are looking forward to bringing our student-centered support services and innovative course delivery approach STRIVE U students.”

STRIVE U is an immersive two-year program for a select group of young adults with developmental disabilities. STRIVE U has four components: Competitive Employment with Real Job Experiences, engaging in Post-Secondary Education, Independent Living in the Community, and Transition. The goal of the program is for students to transition to live independently, hold professional jobs, and contribute to their communities.

“Kaplan’s acute focus on career-readiness and professionalism in all of its programs is well-aligned with the STRIVE U goal to prepare its participants for professional jobs,” stated Peter Brown, STRIVE & STRIVE U Program Director. “In addition, Kaplan’s strength in distance learning is an attractive opportunity for the potential expansion of the STRIVE U program to other places in Maine and beyond. We’re thrilled to be partnering with KU Maine.”

STRIVE-U students live in STRIVE-owned apartments in Portland, work in part-time professional jobs, and learn independent living skills through the program’s staff and partners. The 10-year-old program, which has competitive admissions, has been very successful, with 98% of graduates.

This spring, STRIVE switched to Kaplan University-Maine as its post-secondary partner. STRIVE U students began attending Kaplan’s South Portland campus in the fall for the academic portion of the program, taking open courses in Professional Presence, Software Applications, Financial Planning, and Communications.

The Kaplan University Maine campuses are located in South Portland, Lewiston, and Augusta.

About PSL STRIVE Services

STRIVE U is a program of STRIVE, whose mission is to address the many issues faced by young adults (ages 11-24) with disabilities. Areas that STRIVE focuses on include: improving fundamental academic skills, developing leadership potential, improving economic opportunities through continuing education, enhancing or upgrading work skills, integrating literary and social skills into occupational/vocational opportunities, fostering career opportunities through education and training, and promoting peer support for parents and siblings of this young population. Other programs operated by STRIVE include: After School Programs, Next STEP, Camp STRIVE, the Wednesday Night education series, Tweens, Friday Night Socials, and STRIVE Bayside.

STRIVE is the largest program of PSL Services, based in South Portland, ME, which provides a community of support and assistance to people with cognitive disabilities or mental health diagnosis who experience challenges seeking greater independence. For more information, visit www.pslstrive.org.

About Kaplan University

Kaplan University offers a different school of thought for higher education. It strives to help adult students unlock their talent by providing a practical, student-centered education that prepares them for careers in some of the fastest-growing industries. The University, which has its main campus in Davenport, Iowa, and its headquarters in Chicago, is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission (www.hlcommission.org). Kaplan University serves approximately 46,000 online and campus-based students. The University has 13 campuses in Iowa, Indiana, Nebraska, Maryland, Maine, and Wisconsin, and Kaplan University Learning Centers in Maryland and Missouri.

Kaplan University is part of Kaplan Higher Education LLC and Kaplan, Inc., a leading international provider of educational and career services for individuals, schools and businesses. Kaplan’s higher education institutions serves approximately 61,000 students online and through 56 campus-based schools across the United States and offer a spectrum of academic opportunities, from certificates and diplomas to graduate and professional degrees, including a juris doctor degree. Kaplan serves students of all ages through a wide array of offerings including higher education, test preparation, professional training and programs for kids in grades K-12. Kaplan, Inc. is a subsidiary of Graham Holdings Company and its largest division. For more information, visit www.kaplanuniversity.edu.

Article references
finance.yahoo.com