Bangladeshis Questioned About Jaipur Blasts

15 May 2008

Indian authorities say they have detained about 40 people, mostly Bangladeshis, in their investigation of Tuesday evening's serial bomb blasts in Jaipur. The terrorist attack killed more than 60 people. A previously unknown group is claiming responsibility while officials still speculate foreign-linked Islamic militants may be the culprits. VOA Correspondent Steve Herman reports from New Delhi.

Home Minister Shivraj Patil, along with Congress Party chief Sonia Gandhi, on Thursday visited the blast sites and a hospital where more than 100 of the wounded are being treated.

Patil praised the people of Rajasthan for bravely facing the unprecedented act of terrorism in Jaipur.

Patil says the government will do whatever it can to help the victims. And he commended Jaipur's citizens for their restraint.

The famed tourist destination is renowned as a walled historic city where Hindus, Muslims and followers of other religions have long lived in harmony. Authorities say they believe the attackers intended to provoke violence between Hindus and Muslims.

While calm prevails and Jaipur remains under curfew for a second day, several foreign players of the Rajasthan Royals cricket team told Indian media they are contemplating returning home in wake of the blasts.

The India Premier League team is scheduled to play its next match in Jaipur on Saturday. The league has announced the match against the Bangalore Royal Challengers will go ahead but as a sign of respect for the victims there will be no cheerleaders, music or other entertainment at the stadium.