Braun Makes Move from Trumpeter to Singer on 'Sings With Strings'

September 14, 2011

Who knew acclaimed jazz trumpeter Rick Braun could sing His latest album showcases superb vocal skills as well as his grasp of the Great American Songbook.

Rick Braun has turned his life-long passion for singing into his first-ever vocal album, Sings With Strings. In fact, he describes the collection as a "musical homecoming."

"I grew up hearing this music all around the house; singing it, playing, listening to my mom, a singer and piano player who knew every part of a song, the verse, the chorus, the refrain, and all the lyrics," Braun explains.

He takes aim at some of the greatest pop composers of all time, including Johnny Mercer, Richard Rodgers and Frank Loesser, as well as the famed songwriting team, Sammy Cahn and Jule Styne.

For example, on "The The Things We Did Last Summer," Braun revives Sammy Cahn and Jule Styne's hit song.

He also sings with strings and plays flugelhorn on such classics as "The Good Life."

Selections from the album were arranged and produced by smooth jazz keyboardist Phillipe Saisse and feature a 52-piece orchestra.

Last April, Braun made his debut as a lead singer and previewed several songs from his new release at the 21st Annual Berks Jazz Fest in Reading, Pennsylvania. He's originally from nearby Allentown, Pennsylvania.