Bush: Iraq 'Is a Fight America Can and Must Win'

19 March 2008

President Bush marked the fifth anniversary of the start of the war in Iraq with a speech at the U.S. Defense Department.  VOA White House Correspondent Paula Wolfson reports Mr. Bush took on his critics, saying the war is worth fighting and winning.

The U.S. presence in Iraq has become a big issue in the American presidential campaign, with both the top Democratic Party contenders - Senators Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton - calling for a withdrawal of U.S. troops.

In his address at the Pentagon, President Bush made clear that he will not act hastily or under pressure to withdraw.

"Any further drawdown will be based on conditions on the ground and the recommendations of our commanders and they must not jeopardize the hard-fought gains our troops and civilians have made over the past year," Mr. Bush said. 

Next month, the top U.S. commander and diplomat in Iraq will come to Washington to present their latest assessments to the president.  General David Petraeus and Ambassador Ryan Crocker will also report to members of Congress.