EU Approves New Sanctions on Iran

23 June 2008

European Union members have approved new sanctions against Iran inresponse to Tehran's refusal to freeze its nuclear program. LisaBryant has more from Paris.

New EU sanctions on Iran include anasset freeze on the country's biggest bank, Bank Melli. They alsoinclude visa bans that will reportedly target senior members affiliatedwith Iran's nuclear program.

Iran says its nuclear activitiesare for peaceful purposes of generating power, but western nations fearTehran is trying to build a nuclear weapon.

The United Statesand the 27-member European Union agreed earlier this month they wereready to take new steps, adding to existing sanctions.  

But theReuters news agency reports the European Union is still offeringeconomic incentives to Iran in return for an end to itsuranium-enrichment program.  

EU foreign policy chief Javier Solanapresented the incentives during unsuccessful talks with Iranianofficials earlier this month in Tehran.

Last week, Solana told reporters the incentives are an updated version of a package offered in 2006, which Iran rejected.

"Ihope to have a response from Tehran soon on the issues we have spoken[about], which have been very important," Solana said. "Our presence heresignifies that we care about good relations with Iran, but for that,the question of nuclear [activities] has to be clearly resolved."

Iranhas said it is encouraged by the latest EU incentives offer, but hasdismissed any call for it to suspend its nuclear program.

TheUnited States also favors a diplomatic approach to ending the standoffwith Tehran. Meanwhile, Iran's acting economy minister said during theweekend that the existing sanctions were not having a major impact onhis country's economy.