Kabul Suicide Attack Kills Italian Soldiers, Afghan Civilians

17 September 2009

Italy has suffered the deadliest attack on its troops in Afghanistan, when suicide bombers struck a military convoy in the Afghan capital, Kabul. At least six Italian soldiers and 10 civilians were killed.

Ambulances rushed to the scene Wednesday following the latest attack in Kabul, the deadliest to date for Italian soldiers deployed in the country. At least six Italian soldiers were killed. The blast also wounded 52 civilians and four Italian soldiers.

At around midday local time, officials say a car loaded with explosives struck two vehicles carrying Italian paratroopers along the airport road near the U.S. embassy.

The Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attack.

As soon as news reached Rome, a minute of silence was observed in the lower house of parliament. Messages of condolence and solidarity were sent to the relatives of the victims.

Italian Defense Minister Ignazio La Russa immediately made a brief address to parliament, saying this was a very painful moment. He made clear the attack would not deter Italy's commitment to the region.

La Russa said that the villainous and cowardly aggressors who have once again hit in the most vicious way should know Italy will not stop its mission, and will continue to assess it with its international allies.

Italy has about 2,800 soldiers in Afghanistan. According to the Defense Ministry, 21 Italian troops have been killed in Afghanistan.