Lead Singer of 1990s Band Soundgarden Dies

18 May, 2017

This is What's Trending Today.

Chris Cornell, the lead singer of Soundgarden, died Wednesday night. He was 52 years old.

He and the band were in Detroit, Michigan, for a concert.

Soundgarden was a well-known rock band in the 1990s. The band's music style is known as "grunge," which became popular in the 1990s with the success of Soundgarden and other bands like Pearl Jam and Nirvana.

The music style started in Seattle, Washington.

Cornell was known for having one of the best voices in rock music. It was featured on Soundgarden's most successful songs, including "Black Hole Sun," "Spoonman," and "Fell on Black Days"

People have been reacting to his death on social media.

Fans wrote comments under the band's YouTube videos after the news of Cornell's death. On the "Fell on Black Days" video, one fan wrote: "Fitting song for today. Rest in Peace, Chris."

Many people talked about how many good songs came out in the early 1990s, including those from Soundgarden.

Late in the day Thursday, Detroit police confirmed [that] Cornell committed suicide.

Many musicians used social media to express their sadness.

Gavin Rossdale of Bush, Dave Navarro of Jane's Addiction and Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin all wrote about Cornell.

Navarro wrote: "Such a terrible, and sad loss."

Soundgarden broke up in 1997. Cornell went on to play music on his own and with a new group called Audioslave.

Soundgarden got back together, however, in 2010. The band was on tour when Cornell died.

And that's What's Trending Today.

I'm Dan Friedell.

Dan Friedell wrote this story for VOA Learning English based on reports by VOANews.com and The Associated Press. Ashley Thompson was the editor.

What was your favorite Soundgarden song? We want to know. Write to us in the Comments Section or on testbig.com.

_______________________________________________________________

concert - n. a public performance of music

feature - v. to have or include (someone or something) as an important part

tour - n. a series of related performances, appearances, competitions, etc., that occur at different places over a period of time