LMFAO Tops Charts on Sophomore Album

October 15, 2011

The duo LMFAO formed in 2006 in Los Angeles, California. Its party-oriented dance hit "Party Rock Anthem" reached number one on the U.S. pop singles list, while also pulling a record-setting 200 million views on YouTube. You might be surprised to hear that the members' music connection started at birth.

The music team of Redfoo and SkyBlu spent six weeks at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 chart this year and earned the Song of Summer award for its biggest hit. The duo's sophomore CD is called "Sorry For the Party Rockin." With all that success, why apologize?

"Maybe it is for the kids to say to the parents... maybe the kids in the back of the car with a walkman on and they roll down the window singing and the parent says 'please stop yelling out the car' and it is 'hey, mom sorry for the party rockin,'" explained Redfoo.

LMFAO is a strange name for a band that was once known as The Sexy Dudes, especially when you consider the person who gave them their name.

"We were on iChat and I said, 'Hey Grandma, what do you think about our names Sexy Dudes?' and she just wrote LMFAO...I cannot believe you. He [Redfoo] came out of the shower and said 'look at that, it is magical... Grandma knows best,'" recalled SkyBlu.

LMFAO, whose real names are Stephan Gordy and Skyler Gordy, share more than just a name. They explain their family connection to legendary Motown founder Berry Gordy Jr. Redfoo is the son and SkyBlu is the grandson of Motown record label founder Berry Gordy, making them uncle and nephew.

It has been a fast ride for LMFAO, who in only two years have earned multiple award nominations, along with gold and platinum album sales.

"[Staying] six weeks at number one [on the Billboard Hot 100 Chart] was really amazing and an amazing benchmark to know that your dream is real so you can do what you have always wanted to do your whole life as a kid. It feels great that we are on the right path and making a lot of people happy around the world," noted SkyBlu.

While some call it dance music and others call it electro pop, only LMFAO know what their music is all about.

"We make music for the party, party rock. We come from a hip hop background, but we kind of notice that there is this world that loves to party and we love that world so much. We like comedy and we like dancing and when we think about what we like the songs start to have some dance in them. In every video we want to have dancing because we like to dance," Redfoo said.

LMFAOs Redfoo and SkyBlu know how to have a good time and from the look of their concerts their fans are also having a good time.