McCain Bound for Colombia While Obama Focuses on Faith

01 July 2008

Republican presidential contender John McCain is headed for ColombiaTuesday as part of an effort to show his support for free trade and hisexpertise in foreign policy. McCain's Democratic opponent, SenatorBarack Obama, spoke about faith Tuesday as he reached out to a group ofvoters generally more supportive of Republican presidentialcandidates. VOA National correspondent Jim Malone reports fromWashington.

Senator McCain's trip includes stops in Colombia and Mexico.

McCainis expected to highlight Colombian efforts against drug trafficking andhis support for a U.S.-Colombian free trade deal that has stalled inthe U.S. Congress.

McCain has criticized Senator Obama for wanting to re-negotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement with Canada and Mexico.

OnTuesday, McCain vowed to stay on the offensive against violent crime inthe United States and promised to appoint federal judges who have whathe called a proven commitment to judicial restraint.

"They willbe the kind of judges who believe in giving everyone in a criminalcourt their due, justice for the guilty and the innocent, compassionfor the victims, and respect for the men and women of law enforcement,"he said.

For his part, Senator Obama was in Ohio Tuesday,reaching out to religious voters, a group that has been hesitant tosupport recent Democratic presidential candidates.

Obamapromised to expand President Bush's program to give federal support tofaith-based charities to battle poverty, a program that some Democratsoppose.

"We know that faith and values can be a source ofstrength in our own lives," he said. "That is what it has meant to me,and that is what it has been to so many Americans."

Obama vowed to uphold the traditional separation between church and state in carrying out the programs.

Obama also remains on the defensive over the comments from one of his supporters, retired U.S. Army General Wesley Clark.

Clarktold the CBS program Face the Nation Sunday that Senator McCain'smilitary experience in Vietnam did not necessarily qualify him for theWhite House.

"Well, I do not think that riding in a fighter plane and getting shot down is a qualification to be president," he said.

McCain was shot down during the Vietnam War and spent 5.5 years as a prisoner of war.

Clark'scomments drew fire from McCain supporters and even some Democrats, andObama was asked about it at a news conference Tuesday in Ohio.

"SenatorMcCain's service is heroic and he deserves out respect for that," hesaid. "Now, I have differences with him on policy."

Obama'sfocus on faith came one day after he talked about patriotism, part of aseries of speeches leading up to the U.S. Independence Day holiday onJuly 4.