NGO Works to Change Lives of India's 'Untouchables'

03 July 2008

In India, half a million women work as scavengers removing human wastefrom the streets with only bowls and brooms. Born into the lowest castein society, these women face discrimination, but one non-governmentalorganization is helping them to create better lives while solving theproblem of poor sanitation. VOA U.N. correspondent Margaret Besheer hasthe story written by intern Maha Saad.

"Becauseof the technologies, now they are not required to clean human excretamanually and they have [been] relieved from this occupation. These twotechnologies have brought tremendous change in the Indian society. Nowthey have become self-employed, empowered, [and] they earn their own
livelihood," Pathak said.

He says that these women are now a part of mainstream society holding dignified jobs.

AtSulabh's center, the women are given clean, new blue saris. LaltaNanda, a 32-year-old woman from Alwar, says her sari has given her andother women status. "This blue sari gives us respect in our society.This is the uniform of the center, but it brings on respect in the eyesof the people. This gives off our identity, that we are someone," shesaid.

Pathak says Sulabh has improved sanitation and decreasedsome diseases, installing toilets in homes and public places. "Thetoilets are being built both in urban areas, rural areas, and in publicplaces, tourist places, religious places. When we started, millions ofchildren used to die due to diarrhea, dehydration, cholera. Now thenumber has gone down to half a million."

In addition to its work in India, Sulabh currently has projects in Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, and Nepal.