Obama, Clinton Appear Together at 'Unity' Rally in New Hampshire

27 June 2008
Former presidential rivals Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton made theirfirst joint campaign appearance Friday in the aptly named town ofUnity, New Hampshire. It was the first time the once bitter rivalscampaigned together since Obama clinched the Democratic Party'spresidential nomination earlier this month. VOA National correspondentJim Malone has more from Washington.

For 16 months they wererivals. But in the small New Hampshire town of Unity Friday, SenatorsObama and Clinton sought to put their primary battles in the past andheal the Democratic Party in time to face Republican John McCain inNovember.

"Well, Unity is not only a beautiful place, as we can see, it is a wonderful feeling, isn't it," asked Senator Clinton.

Clintonsuspended her campaign earlier this month after it was clear Obama hadclinched enough Democratic delegates to claim the party's presidentialnomination.

Clinton left little doubt Friday that she will fullysupport Obama's run for the White House against the presumptiveRepublican nominee, Senator John McCain.

"We may have started onseparate paths, but today, our paths have merged," she added. "Todayour hearts are set on the same destination for America. Today we arecoming together for the same goal, to elect Barack Obama as the nextpresident of the United States."

Clinton and Obama flew togetherfrom Washington to New Hampshire and appeared friendly toward oneanother during the campaign rally. The image of the two former rivalsnow joining forces could encourage some Clinton supporters to call onObama to choose Hillary Clinton as his vice presidential running mate.

Fornow, Obama is saying little about a vice presidential running mate. Obama did tell the rally at Unity that he expects Hillary and BillClinton to play a role in his campaign.

"We need them badly, notjust my campaign, but the American people need their service and theirvision and their wisdom in the months and years to come because that ishow we are going to bring about unity in the Democratic Party and thatis how we are going to bring about unity in America, and that is how weare going to deliver the American dream in every corner of every stateof this great nation that we love," he said.

Besides the obviousimplication of its name, Unity was chosen because each candidate gotexactly 107 votes in January's New Hampshire presidential primary,which Clinton won.

Republican John McCain meanwhile campaignedin Ohio Friday, and told reporters he still hopes to win over someClinton supporters who may be reluctant to back Obama.

"I dothink we are able to attract some of Senator Clinton's supporters, notso much because of any reason that they think that I may serve Americabest," he said. "I had a woman at a town hall meeting yesterday whowas wearing a Hillary hat. I was pleased that she was there and I waspleased to respond to her comments."

At the rally in NewHampshire, Hillary Clinton urged her supporters to resist the McCaincampaign and line up behind Senator Obama.

But that may not beenough for some Clinton supporters like university professor JillBrantley. Brantley was among a handful of protesters in Washingtonthis week urging Clinton not to abandon her campaign for the Democraticnomination.

"We are being asked to fall in line in terms ofissues while the process is absolutely corrupt," she said. "And I amfrightened, knowing how he got the nomination, what he would do if hehad real power. I really am."

Clinton and Obama also discussedfundraising this week. Clinton needs help paying off a ten milliondollar campaign debt, and Obama wants to tap some of her topfundraisers for his campaign against John McCain.