Pence Visits Indonesia

Apr 25, 2017

Vice President Mike Pence visited Indonesia in mid-April, as part of a tour of allies of the United State in the East Asia and Pacific region.

During a joint press conference with Indonesia's President Joko Widodo, Vice President Pence said that his visit is an indication of the high value the United States places the two countries' strategic partnership.

“As the second and third largest democracies in the world, our two countries share many common values -- including freedom, the rule of law, human rights, and religious diversity,” said Vice President Pence. “The United States is proud to partner with Indonesia to promote and protect these values, the birthright of all people.”

The United States is one of Indonesia's oldest and most engaged defense partners, said Vice President Pence, and we are firmly committed to continuing this collaboration.The strong relationship between our two countries will help us successfully confront the various security threats that we now face, including one of the greatest challenges we both must contend with: the rise and spread of terrorism.

At the same time, said Vice President Pence, “the United States will uphold the fundamental freedoms of navigation and overflight in the South China Sea and throughout the Asia Pacific; will ensure the unimpeded flow of lawful commerce; and promote peaceful diplomatic dialogue to address issues of regional and global concern.”

But that does not mean that we cannot improve on our relationship, said Vice President Pence, noting that United States seeks trade relationships that are both free and fair.

This means creating a level playing field to ensure that American businesses can fully participate in the Indonesia market, a privilege that Indonesia exporters that do business in the United States have enjoyed for many years. What we are looking for, is a win-win relationship.

“I have the privilege of reaffirming the United States' strategic partnership with Indonesia and declaring our commitment to strengthen our bonds of friendship, commerce, and security,” said Vice President Pence.

“Through our continued partnership, the United States and Indonesia will continue to maintain a peaceful, stable, and a prosperous Southeast Asia for the benefit of both of our nations and for the benefit of the world.”