Republicans Await First National Speech by McCain's Vice Presidential Pick

03 September 2008

Republican presidential hopeful John McCain's running mate, little-known Alaska Governor Sarah Palin, is expected to introduce herself to the nation in a speech later Wednesday at the Republican National Convention. In advance of the address, leading Republican women are defending Palin and accusing the news media of bias, amid a flurry of news reports raising questions about the governor's record, experience and family. VOA's Michael Bowman reports from St. Paul, Minnesota, which is hosting the convention.

As with Tuesday's convention speeches, Wednesday's addresses are expected to be highly partisan, drawing sharp contrasts with Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama. At a campaign event in Ohio, Obama responded to Tuesday's Republican convention speeches that questioned his judgment on national security and foreign affairs.

"You did not hear a single word about the economy," said Barack Obama. "Not once did people [Republicans] mention the hardships people are going through. Not once did they mention how to keep jobs in Ohio. Not once did they mention what is to be done about all the retirees losing their pensions. Not once did they mention how to make sure people [can] stay in their homes."

Hundreds of protesters have been arrested outside the convention center over the last two days. Demonstrations are expected to continue for the remainder of the convention, which culminates Thursday with Senator McCain's acceptance speech.