Serbia's Neighbors Recognize Kosovo

19 March 2008

Serbia's neighbors Hungary, Bulgaria and Croatia have recognized Kosovo's independence. Stefan Bos reports for VOA from Budapest that their joint statement has led to tensions with Belgrade and concerns among ethnic minorities living in Serbia.

"The Serbian government has an interest in sparing ethnic Hungarians of Vojvodina from atrocities in the wake of Kosovo's recognition," she said.  "Both Hungary and Serbia should pay special attention to minorities living on their territory."

Hungary, Bulgaria and Croatia have also urged the authorities of predominantly ethnic Albanian Kosovo to respect the rights of minorities, including Serbs.

Tensions remain high in the province after violent clashes this week between Serbs opposing Kosovo's independence and NATO and U.N. security forces.  A Ukrainian police officer was killed in the violence and about 150 people were injured.

Analysts have warned that Kosovo may split in two between Albanian and Serb areas, something 16,000 NATO-led peacekeepers are trying to avoid.