Top 5 Songs for Week Ending August 10

August 07,2013

We’re rolling the five most popular songs in the Billboard Magazine Hot 100 pop singles chart, for the week ending August 10, 2013.

Top 5 Songs for Week Ending August 10

1. "Blurred Lines" - Robin Thicke featuring T.I.

2. "Best Song Ever" - One Direction

3. "We Can’t Stop" - Miley Cyrus

4. "Radioactive" - Imagine Dragons

5. "Get Lucky" - Daft Punk featuring Pharrell Williams

Source: Billboard Magazine

We only get one new song this week, but what a song it is! That’s on the way; for now, let’s begin at the beginning -- in fifth place, where Daft Punk and PharrellWilliams slide a slot with “Get Lucky” likely ending their quest for their first Hot 100 singles victory. No matter: their Random Access Memories album hit the jackpot here in the United States, while “Get Lucky” went all the way in more than 20 countries from Australia to Iceland.

Also retreating a slot is Imagine Dragons. Lead singer Dan Reynolds says they used to play to half-empty casino showrooms in Las Vegas. How times have changed! The group drops a notch to fourth place with “Radioactive,” from their album Night Visions. After becoming stars in their native Las Vegas, Nevada, these four guys are now world headliners. This weekend, they perform at the Summer Sonic Festival in Japan, and after that it’s on to Europe and the U.K.

Miley Cyrus joins the crowd on the down escalator, as “We Can’t Stop” dips a slot to number three. Miley got a little defensive this week. Speaking to Notion Magazine, 20-year-old Miley says despite her provocative videos and outfits, she’s not sleazy - in fact, she declares herself one of the hardest-working young celebrities. Miley says she’s just living her dreams right now.

Why have all our songs been dropping? Here’s why: One Direction scores a huge debut in second place with “Best Song Ever”. Harry Styles and his crew are touring the United States through Saturday August 10, then next month head for Australia, New Zealand, and Japan.

It’s good to be Robin Thicke. Why? Robin, who collaborates with T.I. and Pharrell Williams on "Blurred Lines" extends his chart domination to eight weeks. Not only is it the longest-running number one single of the year here in the States, Robin also has the new number one album in the United Kingdom.

That’s it for now, but we’ll convene next week for a new hit list.