Top 5 Songs for Week Ending Sept. 13

September 09,2014

We’re rolling out the five most popular songs in the Billboard Hot 100 pop singles chart, for the week ending September 13, 2014.

Another fast-rising title crashes into the lineup this week. Let’s begin in fifth place, where Sam Smith retreats a slot with “Stay With Me.” Back home in the U.K., Sam is on a roll… he reclaims top honors on the album chart with In The Lonely Hour, while announcing a string of additional tour dates for 2015. They’ll keep him on the road into June.

Here’s your fast riser: Jessie J is back in countdown contention, as “Bang Bang” featuring Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj jumps five slots to fourth place. Their recent TV appearance is paying dividends. On August 24, the three women opened the MTV Video Music Award show with the song, and it’s paid off: “Bang Bang” is now a Top Five hit. Jessie’s third album Sweet Talker hits the market on October 14. It will be her second Stateside release.

As for Nicki Minaj, her Pinkprint album still lacks a release date, while her latest single “Anaconda” dips a slot to number three. Nicki had a hard upbringing. Speaking with Now Magazine, Nicki said her childhood in Trinidad and New York City was filled with abuse: her father was a drug addict who once set their house on fire with her mother inside.

Meghan Trainor is back on the attack, as “All About That Bass” returns to the runner-up slot. Meghan’s already a music vet! At age 18, she signed a songwriting contract and moved to Nashville - among her clients were Sabrina Carpenter and Rascal Flatts. She co-wrote “All About That Bass” with Grammy-nominated producer Kevin Kadish, and after hearing Meghan’s own demo version of the song, record mogul L.A. Reid signed her to his Epic label. Meghan’s EP Title arrived on September 9.

No changes at number one: Taylor Swift is your girl for a second week with “Shake It Off.” Is Taylor involved in a high-profile feud? Speaking with Rolling Stone Magazine, Taylor says she’s “straight-up enemies” with another female singer. She says this person used to make mean comments to her and attempted to sabotage a tour. It’s the subject of a song called “Bad Blood” - and media outlets are speculating it may be about Katy Perry. On September 9, Katy went on Twitter to warn about an unnamed “mean girl” - who knows where this is headed?

No matter what happens, we'll be back next week with a new lineup.