Top 5 Songs for Week Ending Sept. 21

September 19,2013

This is the Top Five Countdown where we look at the five most popular songs in the Billboard Magazine Hot 100 pop singles chart, for the week ending September 21, 2013.

Top 5 Songs for Week Ending Sept. 21

1. "Roar" - Katy Perry
2. "Blurred Lines" - Robin Thicke Featuring T.I. and Pharrell Williams
3. "Royals" - Lorde
4. "Magna Carta" - Jay-Z Featuring Justin Timberlake
5. "Wake Me Up" - Avicii

Two of our top five titles change this week - that’s a 40 percent turnover! It all starts in fifth place, where Avicii jumps two slots with “Wake Me Up!” The song comes with a pedigree. Released in June, it’s already gone to number one in more than 25 countries, from Bulgaria to New Zealand. It’s a million-seller in the United States, and has topped two separate Billboard dance charts.

Also on the rise are Jay Z and Justin Timberlake, as “Holy Grail” jumps a slot to fourth place. The second volume of Justin’s 20/20 Experience album hits the market on September 30.

Up a big five slots to third place is Lorde with “Royals.” This young singer may be the year’s fastest-rising star. Just a few months ago, the 16-year-old singer was virtually unknown outside her native New Zealand. Now, thanks to the web, her videos and songs have made her a fast-rising global star, and her debut album Pure Heroine is set for a September 30 release.

Holding fast in second place are Robin Thicke, T.I. and Pharrell with “Blurred Lines.” It’s a tribute to the song's popularity that the former 12-week champ remains strong in second place. Robin Thicke, T.I. and Pharrell have gone seven times platinum in Australia, six times platinum in Canada, and five times platinum in the United States - meaning this song has sold five million downloads.

Still at number one is Katy Perry with “Roar.” She holds the Billboard Hot 100 singles title for a second week. Katy’s real name is Katherine Hudson - and she sang Christian rock when she released her debut album in 2001. Seven years later she re-emerged as the singer we know and love today.

That’s it for now; join us in one week for an all-new hit list.