Tornadoes Crush Mobile Homes in South US

24 February, 2016

Tornadoes crushed mobile homes and destroyed neighborhoods in the southeastern United States during severe weather Tuesday.

At least three people were dead when tornadoes hit southern Louisiana and Mississippi. The National Weather Service said that seven tornadoes were confirmed, from west of New Orleans to southern Mississippi.

In Mississippi, one person died when a tornado destroyed a mobile home. In Louisiana, two people were killed and more than a 100 mobile homes and recreational vehicles were demolished by a tornado 100 kilometers west of New Orleans.

Police and volunteers were still searching the mobile-home park for survivors.

Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards said people are still missing. "These travel-trailers were picked up, thrown a considerable distance and just mangled," he said after visiting the scene.

Ambulances from surrounding communities transported more than 30 residents of the neighborhood to hospitals.

Edwards declared a state of emergency in the severely damaged areas of Louisiana.

Tornadoes were spotted near New Orleans' Louis Armstrong International Airport and Lake Pontchartrain. Severe storms around New Orleans destroyed roofs and downed trees. Many residents were without electrical power Wednesday in the region.

Other states receiving bad weather from the storm included Florida, Georgia and South Carolina. A tornado was reported near Pensacola, Florida. That tornado caused property damage and injuries.

Schools in Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina and Florida cancelled school classes ahead of Wednesday's storm threat. Heavy rain and severe weather are forecasted from Washington, D.C., to Florida on Wednesday.

I'm Dorothy Gundy.

VOANews.com reported on this story. Jim Dresbach adapted the report for Learning English. Kathleen Struck was the editor. We want to hear from you. Write to us in the Comments Section or visit our testbig.com.

________________________________________________________________

tornadon. a violent and destructive storm in which powerful winds move around a central point

mobile homen. a house that is built in a factory and then moved to the place where people will live in it

recreational vehiclen. a large vehicle that often has a bathroom, kitchen, and beds for use during travel and camping

trailer park n. a large piece of land where vehicles can be parked and connected to electricity and water supplies

demolish v. to damage something so that it cannot be repaired

mangle v. to injure or damage (something severely by cutting, tearing or crushing

ambulance n. a vehicle used for taking injured or sick people to the hospital especially in emergencies