US Expects North Korean Nuclear Declaration This Week

23 June 2008

U.S. officials said Monday they expect North Korea to make itslong-awaited declaration of its nuclear program this week,  probablyThursday. The action would open the way to the next phase of thesix-party deal under which Pyongyang is to scrap its nuclear program inreturn for aid and diplomatic benefits. VOA's David Gollust reportsfrom the State Department.

Bush administration officials say they expect the declaration Thursday based on comments by North Korean officials.

Butthey're expressing caution, noting that past timetables have slipped,and also stressing that the declaration must be verified if Pyongyangis to reap promised benefits.

North Korea was to have made thedeclaration of its nuclear possessions and activities at the end oflast year, and the delay has stalled implementation of the six-partyaccord.

White House Press Secretary Dana Perino said Thursday isa deadline for the declaration cited by North Korea itself, but that iffollow-on actions are to be taken the document must be reviewed andconsidered verifiable.

In a talk with reporters here, StateDepartment Deputy Spokesman Tom Casey said the Bush administration isready, on receipt of the declaration to inform Congress of itsintention to remove North Korea from its list of state sponsors ofterrorism.

But Casey noted that by U.S. law there is a 45-daywaiting period for the decision to be enacted, and during that timeverification steps must get underway:

"One thing that'sextremely important to us, presuming we get a declaration and thatannouncement is then made, is that we will use that 45 days as anopportunity to work on the verification process," said Tom Casey. "Andcertainly there would be consequences in that process, should it bedetermined that North Korea is not complying with the verificationterms, or has otherwise not provided the kind of declaration thateveryone hoped for."

The chief U.S. delegate to the six-partytalks, Assistant Secretary of State Christopher Hill, is holdingconsultations in Beijing and would be ready to join in a meeting of allsix delegation chiefs if the North Korean declaration is indeedsubmitted.

North Korea has indicated it is ready to demolish thecooling tower of its Yongbyon nuclear complex as a show of good faithafter submitting the declaration.

Spokesman Casey said U.S.officials monitoring the disablement of the Yongbyon reactor wouldwitness the demolition. He said Assistant Secretary Hill has no planshimself to attend the event or to visit Pyongyang this week.

Hillis expected to remain in the region to brief Secretary of StateCondoleezza Rice, who begins a visit to Japan, South Korea and Chinalater this week.

Rice told reporters traveling with her toGermany Monday that if North Korea submits a complete and accuratedeclaration it would be an important step that would trigger severalreciprocal actions including "de-listing" Pyongyang as a terrorismsponsor.

At the same time, Rice told a questioner the UnitedStates is not going to "set aside or forget" the issue of Japanesecitizens abducted by North Korean intelligence agents in the 1970's and1980's.

Japanese officials have opposed dropping North Koreafrom the terrorism list, and lifting associated economic sanctionswithout a resolution of the abduction issue.

Rice in theairborne news conference credited U.S. pressure for a North Koreanagreement with Japan last week to reopen investigations of theabduction cases.

She said she recognizes it is a "woundingissue" for Japan, and one which the United States will continue topress North Korea on to make certain it is dealt with.