U.S. Supports Moldova

2014-3-9

The United The United States expressed its strong support for Moldova's democratic and economic development during the recent visit of Moldovan Prime Minister Iurie Leanca. U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry announced a 60 percent increase of U.S. assistance to boost the productivity and competitiveness of Moldovan businesses and to facilitate access of Moldovan wine to the European Union markets.

Since 1992, the U.S. has provided nearly $1.2 billion in assistance to Moldova, including over $22 million in 2013 and a five-year, $262 million Millennium Challenge Corporation, or MCC, Compact launched in 2010.  This assistance has supported an array of democratic, economic, justice sector, and other reforms that advance Moldova's European integration and illustrate the strength of the U.S.-Moldova bilateral relationship.

The recent programs announced by the United States will help Moldovan businesses benefit from the Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Agreement under the Association Agreement that Moldova expects to sign with the EU later this year.  This should lead to increased investment and job creation in Moldova.

Additionally, U.S. academic and professional exchanges will enhance Moldovans' business skills and agricultural productivity.  The United States also encourages foreign investment in Moldova by helping to reduce barriers to trade and improve the ease of doing business.  These programs complement the MCC Compact, which supports a transition to high-value agriculture through the rehabilitation of roads and irrigation systems.

U.S. assistance is supporting programs that strengthen Moldova's democratic institutions, including by promoting a vibrant civil society, improving local governance, and supporting participation by Moldovans in civic life.   U.S. assistance also strengthens the rule of law in Moldova by improving judicial administration, training judges and prosecutors, and promoting public awareness of justice-sector reforms and legislation.  Collectively, these programs reduce corruption while increasing government transparency and accountability, which will be crucial to fulfilling Moldova's European aspirations.

U.S. assistance helps Moldova prevent and combat transnational crime, particularly trafficking in persons, cybercrime, and the illicit trafficking of nuclear materials.

The United States is committed firmly to the democratic direction that Moldovans have chosen for themselves and their government has expressed a desire to pursue.