Vietnamese Groups, Lawmakers Voice Concerns Ahead of Prime Minister's US Visit

19 June 2008

Vietnamese-American groups, human rights organizations, and members ofCongress are urging President Bush to make human rights in Vietnam apriority in his talks next week with visiting Vietnamese Prime MinisterNguyen Tan Dung. VOA's Dan Robinson reports from Capitol Hill.

Activistsand representatives of human rights organizations joined members ofCongress in a news conference outside the U.S. Capitol.

NguyenNgoc Bich, of the National Congress of Vietnamese Americans, reads astatement on behalf of nearly a dozen groups, criticizing Vietnam'scommunist leadership:      

"The current Vietnamese governmentheaded by Mr. Nguyen Tan Dung, being appointed by the Communist Partyof Vietnam, does not represent the true voice and interests of the vastmajority of the Vietnamese people since it is not a government votedinto power through free and fair elections," said Nguyen Ngoc Bich.

TheWhite House has already said President Bush will stress human rightsand freedoms of speech, religion and assembly when he welcomesVietnam's prime minister, along with bilateral matters and a key focuson trade relations.

However, as with the last visit of aVietnamese leader, lawmakers are making the case that the president hasnot done enough to help ease repression of political activists andreligious leaders in Vietnam.

California Democrat Loretta Sanchez:

"Thegovernment of Vietnam has harassed, has put under house arrest, and hassentenced countless peaceful democracy advocates to prison, all of whomwere not afforded a legal and fair trial, and this is unacceptable,"said Congresswoman Sanchez.

Republican Congressman Chris Smithjoins Sanchez and others in saying Vietnam has not made the humanrights and political reforms many hoped it would under PNTR, PermanentNormal Trade Relations, with the United States.

"It looked onthe surface, as if some of the more egregious government abuse wasabating and a season of modest reform [was] possible," said Congressman Smith. "That illusion, well meaning but naïve as it was,has been shattered by arrests and re-arrests of some of the most nobleand courageous Vietnamese democracy advocates on Earth."

Inparticular, Smith mentions Pham Hong Son, jailed for posting ademocracy essay on the Internet, and attorneys Nguyen Van Dai and LeThi Cong, sentenced for pro-democracy activities.

Maran Turner,of Freedom Now, sums up the charges against Pham Hong Son, Nguyen VanLy, and Nguyen Dan Que, serving jail terms of between 30 months and 20years.

"Their crimes? Translating and emailing an articleentitled What is Democracy? Sending an email critical of thegovernment's restrictions of media freedom from an Internet café,"said Maren Turner. "And providing testimony about religious freedomsin Vietnam to the U.S. government."

Leonard Leo is a member of the U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom, which visited Vietnam in 2007:

"Wesaw firsthand the backsliding which has taken place since Vietnamreceived the trade and aid that it so very much wanted," said LeonardLeo. "Problems continue to persist, it is very serious."

Thecommission says Vietnam should be designated a Country of ParticularConcern (CPC) regarding violations of religious freedom. CongressmanSmith says it should be identified as Tier 3, among serious violators.He is also frustrated that Congress has failed to pass the GlobalOnline Freedom Act, dealing with government's use of the Internet tosuppress dissent, and the Vietnam Human Rights Act.

SophieRichardson of Human Rights Watch says President Bush must also pressthe Vietnamese leader on Hanoi's cracked down on writers andjournalists.

"By agreeing to welcome Prime Minister inWashington, the Bush administration assumes a particular responsibilityto speak frankly and publicly about Vietnam's ongoing criminalizationof peaceful expression," said Sophie Richardson.

Congressman Frank Wolf is a sharp critic of Bush administration efforts on Vietnam human rights issues:

"Historyis watching the Bush administration," said Congressman Wolf. "Historyis watching President Bush next week. History is watching SecretaryCondoleeza Rice next week. And history is watching what the Americanambassador [to Vietnam] does. As now they get an F, a solid F, withoutany question."

Democrat Zoe Lofgren is sponsoring a resolution calling for the end of PNTR unless human rights situation in Vietnam improved.

"Iwould beg the president of the United States to show some leadershipwhen he meets with the Communist regime in the coming days," said ZoeLofgren. "The status quo is not acceptable."

At the same time,members of Congress have recognized Bush administration help inobtaining freedom for some Vietnamese-Americans detained in Vietnam.

Vietnamand the United States held their annual human rights dialogue in May,with U.S. officials raising concerns about freedom of expression andreligion, saying Washington was pleased with progress in several areas.