Will Brazilian Soccer Star Neymar Leave Barcelona?

18 July, 2017

This is What's Trending Today.

Brazilian soccer player Neymar is one of the world's best.

But he is not the best player on his team, Barcelona.

That title belongs to Argentina's Lionel Messi.

Neymar, 25, started playing with Barcelona in 2013. His full name is Neymar da Silva Santos Junior. Before Barcelona, he played with Santos in the Brazilian league.

He helped Brazil win a gold medal at the 2016 Olympics and was one of the top goal-scorers at the 2014 World Cup.

With Barcelona, he has scored 105 goals in four full seasons. Working with Messi and other teammates, Neymar helped Barcelona win Spanish league championships, the Champions League title and the FIFA Club World Cup.

But if he stays with Barcelona, Neymar will never be the team's number one player.

That is why Neymar is in the news today. His name was the top worldwide trending topic on Twitter and the top Google search in Brazil.

Sports newspapers in Spain are reporting that Neymar is considering a transfer offer from Paris Saint-Germain, known as PSG, of the French league.

Neymar declined their offers in the past, but this one seems more serious.

The Spanish sports newspaper As wrote that Neymar's father will meet with the president of PSG this week to discuss a move.

Barcelona will receive over 220 million euros if Neymar leaves.

In its story about Neymar, As wrote that he wants to be the primary focus on his new team and not have to be "in the shadow of his teammates."

Barcelona is coming to the United States this month for a series of games against opponents including Juventus, Manchester United and Real Madrid as it prepares for the upcoming Spanish season.

A Brazilian sports writer posted on Twitter Tuesday morning. He said Neymar accepted the offer from the Parisian team. But representatives from Barcelona said they do not think any team will pay the large price for Neymar.

Spanish league teams have until September 1 to complete any summer transfers. If Neymar wants to leave, however, it would be better if it happens soon. The Spanish season starts in mid-August.

And that's What's Trending Today.

I'm Dan Friedell.

Dan Friedell wrote this story for VOA Learning English. Hai Do was the editor.

Do you think Neymar will leave Barcelona? We want to know. Write to us in the Comments Section or on testbig.com.

_______________________________________________________________

title – n. the status or position of being the champion in a sport or other competition; a word or name that describes a person's job in a company or organization

league – n. a group of sports teams that play against each other

medal – n. a piece of metal often in the form of a coin with designs and words in honor of a special event, a person, or an achievement

shadow – n. a dark shape that appears on a surface when someone or something moves between the surface and a source of light