Woods, Kim Battle for AT&T Golf Title

05 July 2009

World No. 1 men's golfer Tiger Woods and defending champion Anthony Kim of the United States share the lead headed into the final round of the AT&T National tournament outside Washington. The tournament is down to the reigning champion taking on the man who inspired him to play golf.

Tiger Woods fired an even-par 70 on the Congressional Country Club Course while Kim was two-under-par 68 for his third round. Both players finished Saturday 10-under-par 200 for the tournament.

After his round, Anthony Kim said he looks forward to playing with Tiger and is not intimidated by being paired with the tournament host.

"There's not too many chances you get to play against the best in the world at his golf tournament," said Kim. "So, I have won this tournament before and I don't see why I won't have a good opportunity tomorrow."

Kim captured this title last year when Tiger Woods was laid up following knee surgery. Tiger watched the 2008 event on television and says he knows Kim is no pushover.

"You know, as we all know A. K. [Anthony Kim] can play. He really can. You know as time has gone on, you have seen the talent; you have seen him grow as a player," said Wood. "It's just a matter of time before he really starts winning golf tournaments."

Americans Michael Allen and Cameron Beckman are tied for third place one stroke off the lead at nine-under-par (201). American Jim Furyk is tied with Australian Rod Pampling two strokes off the lead.

Kim, who just turned 24 last month, has said Woods was his inspiration for taking up golf. Woods has won 44 of 47 prior PGA Tour events when he was leading or sharing the lead after 54 holes.