World Trade Center Reopens for Business in NYC

13 November, 2014

From VOA Learning English, this is the Economics Report.

Thirteen years have past since the September 11th, 2001 terrorist attacks that destroyed the World Trade Center in New York City. Now its replacement has opened for business. One World Trade Center is America's tallest building at 104 levels or storeys. The company Conde Nast Publishing recently moved into offices there.

Conde Nast says it will have 2,300 employees spread among 24 floors of the building. The building still raises safety concerns among some people who remember what happened on the site. But those arriving for work, soon after Conde Nast offices opened, expressed no concerns about being safe.

"There's plenty of security here. You feel safe, at least I do," said Austin Parker.

"You know it's a tragedy what happened in 2001, but I think it's a great tribute to America what they've come back and done. I'm proud to work here," said MaryAnne Cacey.

Conde Nast employee says working at one World Trade Center was an inspiration.

On the day the building opened for business, Conde Nast, the New York and New Jersey Port Authority and Construction Company Officials praised the new skyscraper.

Charles Townsend is Conde Nast's Chief Executive.

"This is a terrific day for lower Manhattan, a wonderful day for New York City and an absolutely great day for Conde Nast," said Townsend.

Steve Plate is director of One World Trade Center construction. He noted how important it was to rebuild what was lost.

"We give you back as a gift of remembrance, of people we lost that fateful day but also of the wonder of how people pull together to make such a wonderful thing , a wonderful structure in their memory," said Plate.

One World Trade Center is 541 meters high. There are 279,000 square meters of space within the building. 60 percent of the space has been rented or leased by a number of publishing, technology and communications companies.

One World Trade Center cost $3.9 billion to build. It is one of the world's costliest structures. The One World Trade Center website says the structure uses the newest safety and security systems.

And that's the Economics Report for VOA Learning English. For more of our programs, go to our website testbig.com. I'm Mario Ritter.