TPO18 In the 1950s Torreya taxifoha a type of evergreen tree once very common in the state of Florida started to die out No one is sure exactly what caused the decline but chances are good that if nothing is done Torreya will soon become extinct Experts a

TPO18
In the 1950s Torreya taxifoha, a type of evergreen tree once very common in the state of Florida, started to die out. No one is sure exactly what caused the decline, but chances are good that if nothing is done, Torreya will soon become extinct. Experts are considering three ways to address the decline of Torreya.

The reading and the lecture are both about the Torreya taxifoha trees that are going to decline. The author of the article provides three ways to address the decline of Torreya. The lecturer disputes the claims made in the article. Her position is that these ways are not satisfactory solution.

According to the article, the first solution is to reestablish Torreya in the same areas which have microclimate weather. In the article, it is mentions that microclimate is very favorable to Torreya. This specific argument is challenged by the lecturer. She claims that Florida's microclimate is frequently changed because of global warming. Additionally, she points out that there are many areas which are drained in rainy season and in summer these places become dryer. Therefore, reestablish in the same location is not a solution.

Secondly, the author of the article suggests that Torreya seeds and saplings should be moved to north areas from Florida's microclimate location for planting and growing. The lecturer, however, asserts that once people moved black tree to a new place but the result was not helpful. This tree spread quickly but they harmed other trees. She goes on to say that moving Torrea to different locations might be dangerous for other trees.

Finally, the author posits that the seeds and saplings can be preserved in a monitored environment for scientists because it will be easy to protect the species and conduct research on Torreya. In contrast, the lecturer's stance is that scientists will not be able to resist the disease because they need enough space space and capacity to monitor species for long time.