Miami Has Become a Dangerous Place

Listening audio
Listening level
Intermediate

Miami Has Become a Dangerous Place

1. Choose the best answer (a, b or c) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) In a poll conducted by Miami's Herald, ___________ interviewed have been victims of some violent crimes in the past five years.

a. forty-two out of those b. the forty-two people c. forty-two percent of people
(2) ___________ admit they need weapons to feel safe in Dade County. a. Almost half of the people interviewed b. Forty-two percent of the people interviewed c. Half of the people in the area
(3) To the reporter who has been covering the story, the surprising part of the story is ___________. a. that a large number of people have been victims of violent crimes b. that a lot of people intend to take law into their own hands c. that many people think it acceptable to shoot an intruder
(4) Prentice Raschid, a black businessman was charged with man slaughter because ___________. a. he had used an illegal gun to kill an intruder into his store b. he had electrocuted a burglar with a man trap c. he had not reported the intrusion to the police
(5) All the six incidents mentioned left _________ dead and _________ wounded. a. four; two b. six; four c. two; six
(6) ___________ is the chief cause for the increase of crime in Dade County, according to the reporter. a. The legalization of private gun b. The inefficiency of the police c. The rapid growth of the city Miami in the last few years

2. Fill in the blanks.
    Prentice Raschid is a
who has a
in a
area of town. He had been burglarized
times in the course of a few weeks. He had asked for help from
but he had not got a
response. So he set up
in the store. As a result, the store owner
a would-be burglar. The public reaction has been
for Mr. Raschid.

Listening answers

Miami Has Become a Dangerous Place

2. Fill in the blanks.
    Prentice Raschid is a
who has a
in a
area of town. He had been burglarized
but he had not got a
response. So he set up
for Mr. Raschid.