New Item 1

Listening audio
Listening level
Advanced

New Item 1:
1. General Comprehension. Choose the best answer (a, b, c, or d) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) Britain tried to persuade ____________ but failed.

a. the United States to take joint action against Syria b. its European allies to take joint action against Libya c. its European allies to take joint action against Syria d. the United States to take joint action against Libya
(2) Syria has been said to play a role in ______________, a. conducting terrorist activities in Paris b. sponsoring international terrorism c. fighting against international terrorism d. sponsoring terrorist activities in Paris
(3) The United States has withdrawn its ___________ from Damascus. a. troops b. Ambassador c. scientists d. technicians
(4) The United States has sent Ambassador Paul Bremmer, ____________, to London to coordinate any further Western action against Syria. a. the State Department spokesman b. Secretary of State c. the head of its anti-terrorism office d. Assistant Secretary

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
The Syrian Foreign Minister described, today, the US reaction as a routine or normal procedure.
(2)
The United States used to take a stronger action against Libya last April, regarding the problem of terrorism.
(3)
Charles Redman explained in his speech why the United States had taken a stronger action against Libya.
(4)
The report is done by Elizabeth Colton in London.

Listening answers

New Item 1:

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)