News In Brief

Listening audio
Listening level
Intermediate

Task 1: News In Brief

1. Choose the best answer (a, b or c) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) Gunshots broke out ___________.

a. near a branch of Barclays Bank at Stockwell b. in Croydon c. along Brixton High Road in London
(2) People were killed and injured at a Chicago concert when _____________. a. the waiting crowd rushed to get the unreserved seat tickets b. the waiting crowd rushed angrily to the gates c. the waiting crowd had a clash with the police
(3) An Air France Concorde ____________. a. missed colliding with four US Air Force F-15s b. collided with a US Air Force F-15 c. and four US Air Force F-15s collided
(4) The French Army was called in to help the fire fighters because ___________. a. forest fires are going out b. forest fires in the south of France are threatening human property and lives c. forest fires are urged between Frejus and Cannes by strong winds from the south
(5) ___________ organized a demonstration . a. The Labour Party, against sex prejudice b. The Labour Party and the Trades Union Congress, against race prejudice c. The Trades Union Congress, against race discrimination
(6) A mailbag containing nearly _________ worth of jewels was missing __________. a. £635,000, at Heathrow Airport b. £175,000, in Geneva c. £750,000, between Geneva and London

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
A police constable pursuing the bank robber's car was driving at the speed of 18 miles per hour.
(2)
The British pop group Fantasy is thinking of canceling the rest of its US tour because of the bloody incident.
(3)
The two US Air Force fighters missed colliding the French Concorde by 10 feet and 50 feet respectively.
(4)
At least two fire fighters were killed in the forest fires in the South of France.
(5)
Around fifty thousand people turned out in the demonstration against racial discrimination.
(6)
The case that a mailbag of valuable jewels was missing was first discovered by the Scotland Yard.

3. Identification. Match the details of the incidents in Column I with each one of Column II.
Column I
a. mailed from Geneva to London
b. stretched for over two miles
c. the closest recorded miss in aviation history
d. fifty injured, four killed
e. strong westerly winds fanning the flames
f. officials from the Labour Party
g. window glasses shattered by a bullet
h. people knocked and trampled
i. Dulles International Airport
j. abandoned villages and holiday homes
k. Heathrow Airport Police
l. Nottingham Forest and Arsenal
m. Trafalgar Square
n. Fantasy
o. a stolen Jaguar
p. 16,000 pounds
q. diamond, emerald, ruby, and other stones

Column II
(1) Bank Robbery
(2) Chicago Concert
(3) Plane Collision
(4) Forest Fires
(5) Demonstration in London
(6) Missing Mailbag
(7) Football Match

Answer: a —
; b —
; c —
; d —
; e —
; f —
;
        g —
; h —
; i —
; j —
; k —
; l —
;
        m —
; n —
; o —
; p —
; q —
.

Listening answers

Task 1: News In Brief

(1) Gunshots broke out ___________.

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)
(6)

Column I
a. mailed from Geneva to London
b. stretched for over two miles
d. fifty injured, four killed
f. officials from the Labour Party
g. window glasses shattered by a bullet
h. people knocked and trampled
i. Dulles International Airport
j. abandoned villages and holiday homes
k. Heathrow Airport Police
l. Nottingham Forest and Arsenal
m. Trafalgar Square
n. Fantasy
o. a stolen Jaguar
p. 16,000 pounds

Column II
(1) Bank Robbery
(2) Chicago Concert
(3) Plane Collision
(4) Forest Fires
(5) Demonstration in London
(6) Missing Mailbag
(7) Football Match

Answer: a —
; b —
; c —
; d —
; e —
; f —
;
        g —
; h —
; i —
; j —
; k —
; l —
;
        m —
; n —
; o —
; p —
; q —
.