News in Detail

Listening audio
Listening level
Advanced

News in Detail

1. General Comprehension. Choose the best answer (a, b, c, or d) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) It is generally agreed that Sheik Ahmed Zaki Yamani was ____________.

a. a knowledgeable linguist in the 1970s b. a clever designer for the oil policy of the Arab world c. an unproclaimed master of the Arab world d. a natural diplomat who helped to strengthen the power of the Arab countries in the world.
(2) Sheik Yamani was appointed Saudi Minister of Petroleum and Mineral Resources when he was ___________ years of age. a. twenty-three b. twenty-seven c. thirty d. thirty-two
(3) The rise of Sheik Yamani in Saudi Arabia was due to _____________. a. his privileged birth b. the fact that he could be useful to the royal family c. the legal training that he had received at Harvard University d. the fact that he was one of the few Saudis to have had higher western education.
(4) In the 1970s, Sheik Yamani enjoyed a world-wide reputation because _____________. a. of the new and rather violent policies of OPEC under his leadership b. he toured the capitals of western countries c. of his decision to raise oil prices in the world market d. he held the enviable position as Saudi Arabia's Oil Minister
(5) Sheik Yamani was a great attraction whatever foreign country he went because ____________. a. he was regarded as the unproclaimed leader of OPEC b. of his official title as the Oil Minister of Saudi Arabia c. he was always surrounded by tough British bodyguards d. of his handsome appearance and refined manners.
(6) Sheik Yamani had a different position at home because _____________. a. he did not own much of Saudi wealth himself b. he appeared as a superstar abroad c. he had been out of favor with the King for a long time d. he was not a member of the royal family

2. Focusing on Details. Complete the following chart about the life of Sheik Yamani.
Time — Event in Yamani's Life
(1) 1962 — appointed to
of
(2) 1973 — toured
to explain
.
(3) 1975 — became the
when

3. Fill in the detailed information according to what you have heard.
(1) In London, one journalist wrote at the time that Sheik Yamani of Saudi Arabia was
to arrive in Europe since
or
in the Middle Ages.
(2) Sometimes, at OPEC meetings, he would have to
to
before proceeding with
. At such times, ministers from
, like
, would criticize Yamani for being only
with
to
on his own.
(3) The
Sheik Yamani will be remembered as not only
, but perhaps more as
who brought
again and changed
of late
-century history.

4. True or False Questions.
(1)
The great potentialities of Sheik Yamani were first recognized by the then crown prince Fahd, later the King.
(2)
Sheik Yamani was given the right to do whatever he deemed necessary to wrest the control of Saudi oil resources from foreign-owned companies.
(3)
It is generally believed that the firing of Yamani was a result of King Fahd's fear for the growing power outside the country.
(4)
Sheik Yamani believed that all world leaders should take a course on sociology in order to be on better terms with the other nations.

Listening answers

News in Detail

Time — Event in Yamani's Life
(1) 1962 — appointed to
of
(2) 1973 — toured
to explain
.
(3) 1975 — became the
when

to arrive in Europe since
or
in the Middle Ages.
to
before proceeding with
. At such times, ministers from
, like
, would criticize Yamani for being only
with
to
on his own.
(3) The
, but perhaps more as
who brought
again and changed
of late
-century history.

4. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)