News in Detail

Listening audio
Listening level
Advanced

News in Detail

1. Identification.
A. Match each item in Column I with one item in Column II by recognizing the person's position or remarks.

Column I               Column II
(1) Deborah Amis       a. Egypt's Ambassador to Israel
(2) Yasir Arafat       b. "Civilians or military, the PLO was out to kill Jews."
(3) Mohammed Basuni     c. NPR's reporter
(4) Fizo Awada         d. Chairman of the PLO
(5) Yitzhak Shamir     e. the PLO representative interviewed on Cairo Radio

Answer: (1) —
; (2) —
; (3) —
; (4) —
; (5) —
.

B. Match each item in Column I with one item in Column II by recognizing the significance of each place.

Column I         Column II
(1) Cairo         a. a Palestinian refugee camp
(2) Jerusalem     b. the site of a grenade attack yesterday
(3) Miamia       c. the only Arab country to have an ambassador in Israel
(4) Sidon         d. a city that PLO has its office
(5) Egypt         e. Lebanese port city

Answer: (1) —
; (2) —
; (3) —
; (4) —
; (5) —
.

2. Choose the best answer (a, b, c, or d) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) ______________ claimed responsibility for the grenade attack in Jerusalem yesterday.

a. The Palestinian Liberation Organization b. The Committee for Solidarity with Arab and Middle-Eastern Prisoners c. The Lebanese Army Faction d. The Lebanese Liberation Organization
(2) According to the witness, ____________ civilians were wounded as the planes hit their targets. a. five b. two c. three d. four
(3) Earlier today ____________ was summoned to the Israeli Foreign Ministry. a. Yasir Arafat b. Mohammed Basuni c. Fizo Awada d. Deborah Amis
(4) Egypt reacted to the PLO's claim for responsibility for the grenade attack in Jerusalem by ____________. a. keeping silent b. declaring its intention to drive PLO out of Cairo c. summoning the PLO representative for an explanation d. pledging its support to the PLO

3. True or False Questions.
(1)
Since the PLO was the only group that had claimed responsibility for last night's attack in Jerusalem Israel decided to retaliate.
(2)
Israel reacted toward last night's grenade attack only on the military level.
(3)
Egypt's Ambassador said today that Egypt condemns terrorism.
(4)
All the Israeli military authorities referred to last night's grenade attack as a "terrorist act."

4. Fill in the blanks to complete the following statements.
(1) Egypt's Ambassador was summoned to the Israeli
for being presented with
by the Israeli government.
(2) Something special about Egypt as compared with other Arab countries: Egypt was the only Arab country that had
and also had
.

Listening answers

News in Detail

1. Identification.

Column I               Column II

Answer: (1) —
; (2) —
; (3) —
; (4) —
; (5) —
.

Column I         Column II
(5) Egypt         e. Lebanese port city

Answer: (1) —
; (2) —
; (3) —
; (4) —
; (5) —
.

3. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)

for being presented with
by the Israeli government.
and also had
.